10 CFR 71.22 - General license: Fissile material.
(a) A general license is issued to any licensee of the Commission to transport fissile material, or to deliver fissile material to a carrier for transport, if the material is shipped in accordance with this section. The fissile material need not be contained in a package which meets the standards of subparts E and F of this part; however, the material must be contained in a Type A package. The Type A package must also meet the DOT requirements of 49 CFR 173.417(a).
(c) The general license applies only when a package's contents:
(1) Contain no more than a Type A quantity of radioactive material; and
(1) Has been determined in accordance with paragraph (e) of this section;
(2) Has a value less than or equal to 10; and
(3) For a shipment of multiple packages containing fissile material, the sum of the CSIs must be less than or equal to 50 (for shipment on a nonexclusive use conveyance) and less than or equal to 100 (for shipment on an exclusive use conveyance).
(1) The value for the CSI must be greater than or equal to the number calculated by the following equation:
(2) The calculated CSI must be rounded up to the first decimal place;
(3) The values of X, Y, and Z used in the CSI equation must be taken from Tables 71-1 or 71-2, as appropriate;
(4) If Table 71-2 is used to obtain the value of X, then the values for the terms in the equation for uranium-233 and plutonium must be assumed to be zero; and
(5) Table 71-1 values for X, Y, and Z must be used to determine the CSI if:
(i) Uranium-233 is present in the package;
(ii) The mass of plutonium exceeds 1 percent of the mass of uranium-235;
(iii) The uranium is of unknown uranium-235 enrichment or greater than 24 weight percent enrichment; or
(iv) Substances having a moderating effectiveness (i.e., an average hydrogen density greater than H 2O) (e.g., certain hydrocarbon oils or plastics) are present in any form, except as polyethylene used for packing or wrapping.
Table 71-1 - Mass Limits for General License Packages Containing Mixed Quantities of Fissile Material or Uranium-235 of Unknown Enrichment per § 71.22(e)
|Fissile material||Fissile material mass mixed with moderating substances having an average hydrogen density less than or equal to H 2O (grams)||Fissile material mass mixed with moderating substances having an average hydrogen density greater than H 2O a (grams)|
|235 U (X)||60||38|
|233 U (Y)||43||27|
|239 Pu or 241 Pu (Z)||37||24|
a When mixtures of moderating substances are present, the lower mass limits shall be used if more than 15 percent of the moderating substance has an average hydrogen density greater than H2O.
Table 71-2 - Mass Limits for General License Packages Containing Uranium-235 of Known Enrichment per § 71.22(e)
|Uranium enrichment in weight percent of 235 U not exceeding||Fissile material mass of 235 U (X) (grams)|
Title 10 published on 2015-12-04
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 10 CFR Part 71 after this date.