12 CFR § 223.2 - What is an “affiliate” for purposes of sections 23A and 23B and this part?
(a) For purposes of this part and except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, “affiliate” with respect to a member bank means:
(3) Companies under other common control. Any company, including any subsidiary of the member bank, that is controlled, directly or indirectly, by trust or otherwise, by or for the benefit of shareholders who beneficially or otherwise control, directly or indirectly, by trust or otherwise, the member bank or any company that controls the member bank;
(4) Companies with interlocking directorates. Any company in which a majority of its directors, trustees, or general partners (or individuals exercising similar functions) constitute a majority of the persons holding any such office with the member bank or any company that controls the member bank;
(6) Investment companies.
(i) Any investment company for which the member bank or any affiliate of the member bank serves as an investment adviser, as defined in section 2(a)(20) of the Investment Company Act of 1940 (15 U.S.C. 80a-2(a)(20)); and
(ii) Any other investment fund for which the member bank or any affiliate of the member bank serves as an investment advisor, if the member bank and its affiliates own or control in the aggregate more than 5 percent of any class of voting securities or of the equity capital of the fund;
(9) Companies held under merchant banking or insurance company investment authority -
(i) In general. Any company in which a holding company of the member bank owns or controls, directly or indirectly, or acting through one or more other persons, 15 percent or more of the equity capital pursuant to section 4(k)(4)(H) or (I) of the Bank Holding Company Act (12 U.S.C. 1843(k)(4)(H) or (I)).
(ii) General exemption. A company will not be an affiliate under paragraph (a)(9)(i) of this section if the holding company presents information to the Board that demonstrates, to the Board's satisfaction, that the holding company does not control the company.
(B) A person that is not affiliated or associated with the holding company owns or controls a greater percentage of the equity capital of the company than is owned or controlled by the holding company, and no more than one officer or employee of the holding company serves as a director or trustee (or individual exercising similar functions) of the company; or
(C) A person that is not affiliated or associated with the holding company owns or controls more than 50 percent of the voting shares of the company, and officers and employees of the holding company do not constitute a majority of the directors or trustees (or individuals exercising similar functions) of the company.
(iv) Application of rule to private equity funds. A holding company will not be deemed to own or control the equity capital of a company for purposes of paragraph (a)(9)(i) of this section solely by virtue of an investment made by the holding company in a private equity fund (as defined in the merchant banking subpart of the Board's Regulation Y (12 CFR 225.173(a))) that owns or controls the equity capital of the company unless the holding company controls the private equity fund under 12 CFR 225.173(d)(4).
(v) Definition. For purposes of this paragraph (a)(9), “holding company” with respect to a member bank means a company that controls the member bank, or a company that is controlled by shareholders that control the member bank, and all subsidiaries of the company (including any depository institution that is a subsidiary of the company).
(10) Partnerships associated with the member bank or an affiliate. Any partnership for which the member bank or any affiliate of the member bank serves as a general partner or for which the member bank or any affiliate of the member bank causes any director, officer, or employee of the member bank or affiliate to serve as a general partner;
(12) Other companies. Any company that the Board determines by regulation or order, or that the appropriate Federal banking agency for the member bank determines by order, to have a relationship with the member bank, or any affiliate of the member bank, such that covered transactions by the member bank with that company may be affected by the relationship to the detriment of the member bank.
(b) “Affiliate” with respect to a member bank does not include:
(i) A depository institution;
(ii) A financial subsidiary;
(iii) Directly controlled by:
(3) Safe deposit. Any company engaged solely in conducting a safe deposit business;
(4) Government securities. Any company engaged solely in holding obligations of the United States or its agencies or obligations fully guaranteed by the United States or its agencies as to principal and interest; and
(5) Companies held DPC. Any company where control results from the exercise of rights arising out of a bona fide debt previously contracted. This exclusion from the definition of “affiliate” applies only for the period of time specifically authorized under applicable State or Federal law or regulation or, in the absence of such law or regulation, for a period of two years from the date of the exercise of such rights. The Board may authorize, upon application and for good cause shown, extensions of time for not more than one year at a time, but such extensions in the aggregate will not exceed three years.