12 CFR § 223.53 - What asset purchases are prohibited by section 23B?
(a) Fiduciary purchases of assets from an affiliate. A member bank may not purchase as fiduciary any security or other asset from any affiliate unless the purchase is permitted:
(1) Under the instrument creating the fiduciary relationship;
(2) By court order; or
(3) By law of the jurisdiction governing the fiduciary relationship.
(b) Purchase of a security underwritten by an affiliate.
(1) A member bank, whether acting as principal or fiduciary, may not knowingly purchase or otherwise acquire, during the existence of any underwriting or selling syndicate, any security if a principal underwriter of that security is an affiliate of the member bank.
(2) Paragraph (b)(1) of this section does not apply if the purchase or acquisition of the security has been approved, before the security is initially offered for sale to the public, by a majority of the directors of the member bank based on a determination that the purchase is a sound investment for the member bank, or for the person on whose behalf the member bank is acting as fiduciary, as the case may be, irrespective of the fact that an affiliate of the member bank is a principal underwriter of the security.
(3) The approval requirement of paragraph (b)(2) of this section may be met if:
(i) A majority of the directors of the member bank approves standards for the member bank's acquisitions of securities described in paragraph (b)(1) of this section, based on the determination set forth in paragraph (b)(2) of this section;
(ii) Each acquisition described in paragraph (b)(1) of this section meets the standards; and
(iii) A majority of the directors of the member bank periodically reviews acquisitions described in paragraph (b)(1) of this section to ensure that they meet the standards and periodically reviews the standards to ensure that they continue to meet the criterion set forth in paragraph (b)(2) of this section.
(4) A U.S. branch, agency, or commercial lending company of a foreign bank may comply with paragraphs (b)(2) and (b)(3) of this section by obtaining the approvals and reviews required by paragraphs (b)(2) and (b)(3) from either:
(i) A majority of the directors of the foreign bank; or
(ii) A majority of the senior executive officers of the foreign bank.
(c) Special definitions. For purposes of this section:
(1) “Principal underwriter” means any underwriter who, in connection with a primary distribution of securities:
(i) Is in privity of contract with the issuer or an affiliated person of the issuer;
(ii) Acting alone or in concert with one or more other persons, initiates or directs the formation of an underwriting syndicate; or
(iii) Is allowed a rate of gross commission, spread, or other profit greater than the rate allowed another underwriter participating in the distribution.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.