12 CFR § 370.2 - Definitions.
For purposes of this part:
(a) Account holder means the person or entity who has opened a deposit account with a covered institution and with whom the covered institution has a direct legal and contractual relationship with respect to the deposit.
(c) Covered institution means:
(1) An insured depository institution which, based on its Reports of Condition and Income filed with the appropriate federal banking agency, has 2 million or more deposit accounts during the two consecutive quarters preceding the effective date of this part or thereafter; or
(2) Any other insured depository institution that delivers written notice to the FDIC that it will voluntarily comply with the requirements set forth in this part.
(d) Compliance date means, except as otherwise provided in § 370.6(b):
(1) April 1, 2020, for any insured depository institution that was a covered institution as of April 1, 2017;
(2) The date that is three years after the date on which an insured depository institution becomes a covered institution; or
(3) The date on which an insured depository institution that elects to be a covered institution under § 370.2(c)(2) files its first certification of compliance and deposit insurance coverage summary report pursuant to § 370.10(a).
(f) Deposit account records has the same meaning as provided in 12 CFR 330.1(e).
(g) Ownership rights and capacities are set forth in 12 CFR part 330.
(h) Payment instrument means a check, draft, warrant, money order, traveler's check, electronic instrument, or other instrument, payment of funds, or monetary value (other than currency).
(i) Standard maximum deposit insurance amount (or SMDIA) has the same meaning as provided pursuant to section 11(a)(1)(E) of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act (12 U.S.C. 1821(a)(1)(E)) and 12 CFR 330.1(o).
(j) Transactional features with respect to a deposit account means that the account holder or the beneficial owner of deposits can make a transfer from the deposit account to a party other than the account holder, beneficial owner of deposits, or the covered institution itself, by method that may result in such transfer being reflected in the end-of-day ledger balance for such deposit account on a day that is later than the day that such transfer is initiated, even if initiated prior to the institution's normal cutoff time for such transaction. A deposit account also has transactional features if preauthorized or automatic instructions provide for transfer of deposits in the deposit account to another deposit account at the same institution, if such other deposit account itself has transactional features.
(k) Unique identifier means an alpha-numeric code associated with an individual or entity that is used consistently and continuously by a covered institution to monitor the covered institution's relationship with that individual or entity.