12 CFR 709.4 - Powers and duties of liquidating agent.
(a)Inventory of assets. As soon as practicable after taking possession, the liquidating agent shall inventory the assets of such credit union as of the date of taking possession, showing the value as carried on the books of the credit union, and the security therefore, if any, a brief description of the assets and any security, and a record of the credit union's creditor and accounts liabilities.
(b)Notice to creditors. The liquidating agent shall promptly publish a notice to the credit union's creditors to present their claims, together with proof, to the liquidating agent by a date specified in the notice. This date shall be not less than 90 days after the publication of the notice. The liquidating agent shall republish such notice approximately one and two months, respectively, after the initial publication. At the time of initial publication, the liquidating agent shall mail a notice similar to the published notice to any creditor shown on the credit union's books at the last address appearing therein. If the liquidating agent discovers the name of a creditor whose name does not appear on the credit union's books, a notice similar to the published notice shall be mailed to such creditor within 30 days after the discovery of the name and address.
(c)General. The liquidating agent shall collect all obligations and money due such credit union and may, to the extent consistent with its appointment, do all things desirable or expedient in its discretion to wind up the affairs of the credit union including, but not limited to, the following:
(1) Exercise all rights and powers of the credit union including, but not limited to, any rights and powers under any mortgage, deed of trust, chose in action, option, collateral note, contract, judgment or decree, or instrument of any nature;
(2) Institute, prosecute, maintain, defend, intervene, and otherwise participate in any and all actions, suits, or other legal proceedings by and against the liquidating agent or the credit union or in which the liquidating agent, the credit union, or its creditors or shareholders, or any of them, shall have an interest, and in every way to represent the credit union, its shareholders and creditors, subject to the direction of General Counsel;
(3) Employ on a salary or fee basis such persons as in the judgment of the liquidating agent are necessary or desirable to carry out its responsibilities and functions, including, but not limited to, appraisers and Certified Public Accountants, and pay the costs out of the assets of the liquidated credit union;
(4) Employ or retain any attorney or attorneys designated by, or acceptable to, the General Counsel in connection with litigation or for legal advice and assistance, for the liquidation generally or in particular instances, and pay compensation and retainers of such attorney or attorneys, together with all expenses, including, but not limited to, the costs and expenses of any litigation, as approved by the General Counsel, out of the assets of the liquidated credit union;
(5) Execute, acknowledge, and deliver any and all deeds, contracts, leases, assignments, bills of sale, releases, extensions, satisfactions, and other instruments necessary or proper for any purposes, including, but not limited to, the effectuation, termination, or transfer of real, personal or mixed property, or that shall be necessary or proper to liquidate the credit union, and any deed or other instrument executed pursuant to the authority hereby given shall be as valid and effective for all purposes as if the same had been executed as the act and deed of the credit union;
(6) With concurrence of General Counsel, disaffirm or repudiate any contract or lease to which the credit union is a party, the performance of which the liquidating agent, in his sole discretion, determines to be burdensome, and which disaffirmance or repudiation in the liquidating agent's sole discretion will promote the orderly administration of the credit union's affairs;
(7) Deposit, withdraw, or transfer funds, and otherwise exercise complete control over all investment or depository accounts maintained by or for the credit union at financial dispository or similar institutions;
(8) Do such things, and have such rights, powers, privileges, immunities, and duties, whether or not otherwise granted in this part 709, as shall be authorized, directed, conferred, or imposed from time to time by the Board, or as shall be conferred by the Federal Credit Union Act;
(d)Expenditure of funds of the liquidation. The liquidating agent shall have power to:
(1) Pay all costs and expenses of the liquidation as determined by the liquidating agent;
(2) Pay off and discharge taxes and liens;
(3) Pay out and expend such sums as are deemed necessary or advisable for or in connection with the preservation, maintenance, conservation, protection, remodeling, repair, rehabilitation, or improvement of any asset or property of any nature of the credit union or the liquidating agent;
(4) Pay off and discharge any assessments, liens, claims, or charges of any kind against any asset or property of any nature on which the credit union or the liquidating agent has a lien by way of mortgage, deed of trust, pledge, or otherwise, or in which the credit union or liquidating agent has any interest;
(e)Assets, claims, and contracts. The liquidating agent shall have power to:
(1) Sell for cash or on terms, exchange, assign, or otherwise dispose of, in whole or in part, any or all of the assets and property of the credit union, real, personal and mixed, tangible and intangible, of any nature, including any mortgage, deed of trust, chose in action, bond, note, contract, judgment, or decree, share or certificate of share of stock or debt, owing to the credit union or the liquidating agent; and
(2) Surrender, abandon, and release any chose in action, or other assets or property of any nature, whether the subject of pending litigation or not, and settle, compromise, modify, or release, for cash or other consideration, claims and demands in favor of the credit union or the liquidating agent.
Title 12 published on 11-Apr-2017 03:57
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 12 CFR Part 709 after this date.