§ 43.1 Applicability.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (d) of this section, this part prescribes rules governing the maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, and alteration of any -
(1)Aircraft having a U.S. airworthiness certificate;
(2) Foreign-registered civil aircraft used in common carriage or carriage of mail under the provisions of Part 121 or 135 of this chapter; and
(3)Airframe, aircraft engines, propellers, appliances, and component parts of such aircraft.
(b) This part does not apply to -
(1) Any aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate, unless the FAA has previously issued a different kind of airworthiness certificate for that aircraft;
(2) Any aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate under the provisions of § 21.191(i)(3) of this chapter, and the aircraft was previously issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category under the provisions of § 21.190 of this chapter; or
(3) Any aircraft subject to the provisions of part 107 of this chapter.
(c) This part applies to all life-limited parts that are removed from a type certificated product, segregated, or controlled as provided in § 43.10.
(d) This part applies to any aircraft issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category except:
(1) The repair or alteration form specified in §§ 43.5(b) and 43.9(d) is not required to be completed for products not produced under an FAA approval;
(2)Major repairs and major alterations for products not produced under an FAA approval are not required to be recorded in accordance with appendix B of this part; and
(3) The listing of major alterations and major repairs specified in paragraphs (a) and (b) of appendix A of this part is not applicable to products not produced under an FAA approval.
[Doc. No. 1993, 29 FR 5451
, Apr. 23, 1964, as amended by Amdt. 43-23, 47 FR 41084
, Sept. 16, 1982; Amdt. 43-37, 66 FR 21066
, Apr. 27, 2001; Amdt. 43-38, 67 FR 2109
, Jan. 15, 2002; Amdt. 43-39, 69 FR 44863
, July 27, 2004; Amdt. 43-44, 75 FR 5219
, Feb. 1, 2010; Docket FAA
-2015-0150, Amdt. 43-48, 81 FR 42208
, June 28, 2016]