17 CFR 11.4 - Subpoenas.
(a) Issuance of subpoenas. The Commission or any member of the Commission or of its staff who, by order of the Commission, has been authorized to issue subpoenas in the course of a particular investigation may issue a subpoena directing the person named therein to appear before a designated person at a specified time and place to testify or to produce documentary evidence, or both, relating to any matter under investigation.
(b) Authorization to issue subpoenas. An order of the Commission authorizing one or more members of the Commission or of its staff to issue subpoenas in the course of a particular investigation shall include:
(1) A general description of the scope of the investigation;
(2) The authority under which the investigation is being conducted; and
(3) A designation of the members of the Commission or of its staff authorized by the Commission to issue subpoenas.
(c) Service. Service of subpoenas issued for investigative purposes shall be effected in the following manner:
(1) Service upon a natural person. Delivery of a copy of a subpoena to a natural person may be effected by
(i) Handing it to the person;
(ii) Leaving it at his office with the person in charge thereof or, if there is no one in charge, by leaving it in a conspicuous place therein;
(iii) Leaving it at his dwelling place or usual place of abode with some person of suitable age and discretion then residing therein;
(iv) Mailing it by registered or certified mail to him at his last known address; or
(v) Any other method whereby actual notice is given to him.
(2) Service upon other persons. When the person to be served is not a natural person, delivery of a copy of the subpoena may be effected by (i) handing it to a registered agent for service, or to any officer, director, or agent in charge of any office of such person; (ii) mailing it by registered or certified mail to any such representative at his last known address; or (iii) any other method whereby actual notice is given to any such representative.
(d) Witness fees and mileage. Witnesses appearing pursuant to subpoena shall be paid the same fees and mileage that are paid to witnesses in the courts of the United States.
(e) Pursuant to the authority granted under Sections 2(a)(11) and 8a(5) of the Act, the Commission hereby delegates to the Director of the Division of Enforcement, with the concurrence of the General Counsel or General Counsel's delegee, and until such time as the Commission orders otherwise, the authority to invoke, in case of contumacy by, or refusal to obey a subpoena issued to, any person, the aid of any court of the United States within the jurisdiction in which the investigation or proceeding is conducted, or where such person resides or transacts business, in requiring the attendance and testimony of witnesses and the production of books, papers, correspondence, memoranda and other records pursuant to subpoenas issued in accordance with section 6(c) of the Act for the purpose of securing effective enforcement of the provisions of this Act, for the purpose of any investigation or proceeding under this Act, and for the purpose of any action taken under section 12(f) of the Act.
(f) Notwithstanding the delegation of authority to the Director set forth in paragraph (e) of this section, in any case in which the Director believes it appropriate the matter may be submitted to the Commission for its consideration. Nothing in this section shall prohibit the Commission from exercising the authority delegated in paragraph (e) of this section.