19 CFR 171.54 - Substitute res in an administrative forfeiture action.

§ 171.54 Substitute res in an administrative forfeiture action.

(a)Substitute res. Where property is seized for administrative forfeiture for a violation involving controlled substances in personal use quantities, the owner or interested party may offer to post an amount equal to the appraised value of the property (the res) to obtain release of the property. The offer, which may be tendered at any time subsequent to seizure and up until the completion of administrative forfeiture proceedings, must be in the form of cash, irrevocable letter of credit, certified funds such as a certified check, traveler's check(s), or money order made payable to U.S. Customs. Unless the property is evidence of a violation of law or has other characteristics that particularly suit it for use in illegal activities, it will be released to the owner or interested party subsequent to tender of the substitute res.

(b)Forfeiture of res. If a substitute res is posted and it is determined that the property should be administratively forfeited, the res will be forfeited in lieu of the property.

[T.D. 89-86, 54 FR 37602, Sept. 11, 1989]

This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.

This list is taken from the Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules provided by GPO [Government Printing Office].

It is not guaranteed to be accurate or up-to-date, though we do refresh the database weekly. More limitations on accuracy are described at the GPO site.

United States Code