20 CFR 404.612 - Who may sign an application.
We will determine who may sign an application according to the following rules:
(a) A claimant who is 18 years old or over, mentally competent, and physically able to do so, must sign his or her own application. If the claim is for child's benefits for a person who is not yet 22 years old, the application may be signed by a parent or a person standing in place of the parent.
(c) If the claimant is under age 18, or mentally incompetent, or physically unable to sign, the application may be signed by a court appointed representative or a person who is responsible for the care of the claimant, including a relative. If the claimant is in the care of an institution, the manager or principal officer of the institution may sign the application.
(d) If a person who could receive disability benefits or who could have a period of disability established dies before filing, an application for disability benefits or for a period of disability may be signed by a person who would be qualified to receive any benefits due the deceased.
(e) If a written statement showing an intent to claim benefits is filed with us, but the person for whom the benefits are claimed dies before an application is filed, an application may be filed as explained in § 404.630(d).
(f) If a person who could receive benefits on the basis of a “deemed” filing date of an application under § 404.633 (b)(1)(i) or (b)(2)(i) dies before an application for the benefits is filed, the application may be signed by a person who would be qualified to receive any benefits due the deceased person as explained in § 404.633 (b)(1)(ii) and (b)(2)(ii).
(g) If it is necessary to protect a claimant from losing benefits and there is good cause for the claimant not signing the application, we may accept an application signed by some one other than a person described in this section.
- 20 CFR 404.407 — Reduction Because of Entitlement to Other Benefits.
- 20 CFR 404.1710 — Authority of a Representative.
- 20 CFR 404.610 — What Makes an Application a Claim for Benefits?
- 20 CFR 404.820 — Filing a Request for Correction of the Record of Your Earnings.
- 20 CFR 404.641 — Cancellation of a Request to Withdraw.
- 20 CFR 404.640 — Withdrawal of an Application.
- 20 CFR 404.630 — Use of Date of Written Statement as Filing Date.
- 20 CFR 404.633 — Deemed Filing Date in a Case of Misinformation.