21 CFR 73.35 - Astaxanthin.
(1) The color additive astaxanthin is 3, 3′-dihydroxy-β, β-carotene-4, 4′-dione.
(2) Astaxanthin may be added to the fish feed only as a component of a stabilized color additive mixture. Color additive mixtures for fish feed use made with astaxanthin may contain only those diluents that are suitable and are listed in this subpart as safe for use in color additive mixtures for coloring foods.
(b)Specifications. Astaxanthin shall conform to the following specifications and shall be free from impurities other than those named to the extent that such impurities may be avoided by good manufacturing practice:
(c)Uses and restrictions. Astaxanthin may be safely used in the feed of salmonid fish in accordance with the following prescribed conditions:
(1) The color additive is used to enhance the pink to orange-red color of the flesh of salmonid fish.
(2) The quantity of color additive in feed is such that the color additive shall not exceed 80 milligrams per kilogram (72 grams per ton) of finished feed.
(1) The labeling of the color additive and any premixes prepared therefrom shall bear expiration dates for the sealed and open container (established through generally accepted stability testing methods), other information required by § 70.25 of this chapter, and adequate directions to prepare a final product complying with the limitations prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.
(e)Exemption from certification. Certification of this color additive is not necessary for the protection of the public health, and therefore batches thereof are exempt from the certification requirements of section 721(c) of the act.