23 CFR 450.206 - Scope of the statewide transportation planning process.
(a) Each State shall carry out a continuing, cooperative, and comprehensive statewide transportation planning process that provides for consideration and implementation of projects, strategies, and services that will address the following factors:
(2) Increase the safety of the transportation system for motorized and non-motorized users;
(3) Increase the security of the transportation system for motorized and non-motorized users;
(4) Increase accessibility and mobility of people and freight;
(5) Protect and enhance the environment, promote energy conservation, improve the quality of life, and promote consistency between transportation improvements and State and local planned growth and economic development patterns;
(6) Enhance the integration and connectivity of the transportation system, across and between modes throughout the State, for people and freight;
(7) Promote efficient system management and operation; and
(8) Emphasize the preservation of the existing transportation system.
(b) Consideration of the planning factors in paragraph (a) of this section shall be reflected, as appropriate, in the statewide transportation planning process. The degree of consideration and analysis of the factors should be based on the scale and complexity of many issues, including transportation systems development, land use, employment, economic development, human and natural environment, and housing and community development.
(c) The failure to consider any factor specified in paragraph (a) of this section shall not be reviewable by any court under title 23 U.S.C., 49 U.S.C. Chapter 53, subchapter II of title 5 U.S.C. Chapter 5, or title 5 U.S.C Chapter 7 in any matter affecting a long-range statewide transportation plan, STIP, project or strategy, or the statewide transportation planning process findings.
(d) Funds provided under 23 U.S.C. 505 and 49 U.S.C. 5305(e) are available to the State to accomplish activities in this subpart. At the State's option, funds provided under 23 U.S.C. 104(b)(1) and (3) and 105 and 49 U.S.C. 5307 may also be used. Statewide transportation planning activities performed with funds provided under title 23 U.S.C. and title 49 U.S.C. Chapter 53 shall be documented in a statewide planning work program in accordance with the provisions of 23 CFR part 420. The work program should include a discussion of the transportation planning priorities facing the State.