24 CFR 401.461 - HUD-held second mortgage.
(1) The Restructuring Plan must provide for a second mortgage to HUD whenever the Plan provides for either payment of a claim under section 541(b) of the
(2) The second mortgage must be in a principal amount that does not exceed the lesser of:
(i) The amount the PAE reasonably expects to be repaid based on objective criteria such as the amount of anticipated net cash flow, trending assumptions, amortization provisions, and expected residual value of the property; and
(ii) The greater of:
(A) The section 541(b) claim (or the difference between the unpaid principal balance on HUD-held mortgage debt immediately before and after the restructuring), plus surplus project accounts from residual receipts accumulated pursuant to 24 CFR 880.205(e), 881.205(e), or 883.306(e) and derived from an expiring Section 8 Housing Assistance Payments contract and not otherwise distributed to the owner and made available to facilitate the Restructuring Plan pursuant to section 517(b)(6) of MAHRA, and
(B) The difference between the unpaid balance on the first mortgage immediately before and after the restructuring.
(b)Terms and conditions.
(1) The second mortgage must have an interest rate of at least one percent, but not more than the applicable Federal rate.
(2) The second mortgage must have a term concurrent with the modified or refinanced first mortgage, if any. HUD may provide that if there is no first mortgage, the second mortgage may continue for a term established by HUD.
(i) Principal and interest on the second mortgage is payable only out of net cash flow during its term. “Net cash flow” means that portion of project income that remains after the payment of all required debt service payments on the modified or refinanced first mortgage, if any, including payment of any past due principal or interest, and payment of all reasonable and necessary operating expenses (including deposits to the reserve for replacement account) and any other expenditure approved by HUD.
(ii) The priority and distribution of net cash flow is as follows:
(A) HUD or the PAE may approve the payment to the owner of up to 25 percent of net cash flow based on consideration of relevant conditions and circumstances including, but not limited to, compliance with the management standards prescribed in § 401.560 and the physical condition standards prescribed in § 401.558; and
(B) All remaining net cash flow will be applied to the principal and interest on the second mortgage, until paid in full, and then to any additional subordinate mortgage under § 401.461(c).
(4) HUD may cause the second mortgage to be immediately due and payable on the grounds provided in section 517(a)(4) of MAHRA, including an assumption of the mortgage in violation of HUD standards for approval of transfers of physical assets (if applicable), or if the owner materially fails to comply with other material HUD requirements after a reasonable opportunity for the owner to cure such failure. A decision by HUD in this regard is subject to the administrative appeals procedure in subpart F of this part, unless HUD acts on the basis of the grounds specified in sections 517(a)(4)(A) or (B) of MAHRA.
(5) HUD will consider modification, assignment to the acquiring entity, or forgiveness of all or part of the second mortgage, if: The Secretary holds the second mortgage; and if the project has been sold or transferred to a tenant organization or tenant-endorsed community-based nonprofit or public agency that meets eligibility guidelines determined by HUD; accepts additional affordability requirements acceptable to HUD; and requests such modification, assignment, or forgiveness. A community-based nonprofit group or public agency demonstrates that it is tenant-endorsed in accordance with § 401.480(e).
(c)Additional mortgage to HUD.
(i) For the restructuring of a mortgage insured by HUD, does not exceed the difference between:
(B) The principal amount of the second mortgage; or
(ii) For the restructuring of a mortgage held by HUD, does not exceed the difference between:
(A) The principal amount of a restructured HUD-held mortgage and the sum of, as applicable, a restructured HUD-held first mortgage at reduced principal amount, new mortgage funds paid to HUD at closing, and surplus project accounts other than residual receipts, pursuant to 24 CFR 880.205(e), 881.205(e), or 883.306(e); and
(B) The principal amount of the second mortgage.
(2) HUD may approve a Plan that does not require an additional mortgage, or provides for less than the full difference to be payable under the additional mortgage, or allows for subsequent modification, assignment, or forgiveness of the additional mortgage under any of the following circumstances:
(i) The anticipated recovery on the additional mortgage is less than the servicing costs; or
(3) With respect to the second mortgage required by paragraph (a) of this section, any additional mortgage must:
(i) Be junior in priority;
(ii) Bear interest at the same rate; and
Title 24 published on 17-Aug-2018 03:29
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 24 CFR Part 401 after this date.
- 24 CFR 401.550 — Monitoring and Compliance Agreements.
- 24 CFR 401.461 — HUD-held Second Mortgage.
- 24 CFR 401.552 — Servicing of Second Mortgage.
- 24 CFR 401.411 — Guidelines for Determining Exception Rents.
- 24 CFR 401.480 — Sale or Transfer of Project.
- 24 CFR 401.650 — When May the Owner Request an Administrative Appeal?