24 CFR § 891.510 - Displacement, relocation, and real property acquisition.
(a) Minimizing displacement. Consistent with the other goals and objectives of subpart E of this part, Sponsors and Borrowers shall assure that they have taken all reasonable steps to minimize the displacement of persons (families, individuals, businesses, nonprofit organizations, and farms) as a result of a project assisted under subpart E of this part.
(b) Relocation assistance for displaced persons. A displaced person (defined in paragraph (f) of this section) must be provided relocation assistance at the levels described in, and in accordance with the requirements of the Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970, as amended (URA) (42 U.S.C. 4201-4655), as implemented by 49 CFR part 24. A displaced person shall be advised of his or her rights under the Fair Housing Act (42 U.S.C. 3601-3619). If the comparable replacement dwellings are located in areas of minority concentration, minority persons also must be given, if possible, referrals to suitable, decent, safe, and sanitary replacement dwellings not located in such areas.
(c) Real property acquisition requirements. The acquisition of real property for a project is subject to the URA and the requirements described in 49 CFR part 24, subpart B.
(d) Appeals. A person who disagrees with the Sponsor's/Borrower's determination concerning whether the person qualifies as a “displaced person,” or with the amount of relocation assistance for which the person is eligible, may file a written appeal of that determination with the Sponsor/Borrower. A low-income person who is dissatisfied with the Sponsor's/Borrower's determination on his or her appeal may submit a written request for review of that determination to the HUD field office.
(e) Responsibility of Sponsor/Borrower. The Sponsor/Borrower shall certify that it will comply (i.e., provide assurance of compliance, as required by 49 CFR part 24) with the URA, the regulations at 49 CFR part 24, and the requirements of this section, and shall ensure such compliance notwithstanding any third party's contractual obligation to comply with these provisions. The Sponsor/Borrower shall maintain records in sufficient detail to demonstrate compliance with the provisions of this section. The Sponsor/Borrower shall maintain data on the race, ethnic, gender, and handicap status of displaced persons.
(f) Definition of a displaced person.
(1) For purposes of this section, the term displaced person means a person (family, individual, business, nonprofit organization, or farm) that moves from real property, or moves personal property from real property, permanently, as a direct result of acquisition, rehabilitation, or demolition for a project assisted under this part. This includes any permanent, involuntary move for an assisted project including any permanent move from the real property that is made:
(i) After notice by the Sponsor/Borrower to move permanently from the property if the move occurs on or after:
(A) The date of the submission of an application to HUD that is later approved, if the Sponsor has control of an appropriate site; or
(B) The date that the Sponsor obtains control of an approvable site, if such control is obtained after the submission of an application to HUD:
(ii) Before the date described in paragraph (f)(1)(i) of this section, if the Sponsor, Borrower or HUD determines that the displacement resulted directly from acquisition, rehabilitation, or demolition for the project;
(iii) By a tenant-occupant of a dwelling unit, if any one of the following three situations occurs;
(A) The tenant moves after execution of the Agreement between the Sponsor/Borrower and HUD, and the move occurs before the tenant is provided written notice offering him or her the opportunity to lease and occupy a suitable, decent, safe, and sanitary dwelling in the same building/complex upon completion of the project under reasonable terms and conditions. Such reasonable terms and conditions include a monthly rent and estimated average monthly utility costs that do not exceed the greater of:
(1) The tenant's monthly rent and estimated average monthly utility costs before the Agreement; or
(2) The total tenant payment, as determined under 24 CFR 813.107, if the tenant is low-income, or 30 percent of gross household income, if the tenant is not low-income; or
(B) The tenant is required to relocate temporarily, does not return to the building/complex, and either:
(1) The tenant is not offered payment for all reasonable out-of-pocket expenses incurred in connection with the temporary relocation; or
(2) Other conditions of the temporary relocation are not reasonable; or
(C) The tenant is required to move to another dwelling in the same building/complex but is not offered reimbursement for all reasonable out-of-pocket expenses incurred in connection with the move, or other conditions of the move are not reasonable.
(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (f)(1) of this section, however, a person does not qualify as a “displaced person” (and is not eligible for relocation assistance at URA levels), if:
(i) The person has been evicted for cause based upon a serious or repeated violation of the terms and conditions of the lease or occupancy agreement, violation of applicable Federal, State, or local law, or other good cause, and HUD determines that the eviction was not undertaken for the purpose of evading the obligation to provide relocation assistance.
(ii) The person moved into the property after the submission of the application and, before signing a lease and commencing occupancy, was provided written notice of the project, its possible impact on the person (e.g., displacement, temporary relocation or a rent increase) and the fact that he or she will not qualify as a displaced person as a result of the project;
(iii) The person is ineligible under 49 CFR 24.2(g)(2); or
(iv) HUD determines that the person was not displaced as a direct result of acquisition, rehabilitation, or demolition for the project;
(3) The Sponsor/Borrower may request, at any time, a HUD determination of whether a displacement is or would be covered by this section.