24 CFR 982.207 - Waiting list: Local preferences in admission to program.
(a) Establishment of PHA local preferences.
(2) The PHA system of local preferences must be based on local housing needs and priorities, as determined by the PHA. In determining such needs and priorities, the PHA shall use generally accepted data sources. The PHA shall consider public comment on the proposed public housing agency plan (as received pursuant to § 903.17 of this chapter) and on the consolidated plan for the relevant jurisdiction (as received pursuant to part 91 of this title).
(4) The PHA shall not deny a local preference, nor otherwise exclude or penalize a family in admission to the program, solely because the family resides in a public housing project. The PHA may establish a preference for families residing in public housing who are victims of a crime of violence (as defined in 18 U.S.C. 16).
(b) Particular local preferences -
(1) Residency requirements or preferences.
(i) Residency requirements are prohibited. Although a PHA is not prohibited from adopting a residency preference, the PHA may only adopt or implement residency preferences in accordance with non-discrimination and equal opportunity requirements listed at § 5.105(a) of this title.
(ii) A residency preference is a preference for admission of persons who reside in a specified geographic area (“residency preference area”). A county or municipality may be used as a residency preference area. An area smaller than a county or municipality may not be used as a residency preference area.
(iii) Any PHA residency preferences must be included in the statement of PHA policies that govern eligibility, selection and admission to the program, which is included in the PHA annual plan (or supporting documents) pursuant to part 903 of this title. Such policies must specify that use of a residency preference will not have the purpose or effect of delaying or otherwise denying admission to the program based on the race, color, ethnic origin, gender, religion, disability, or age of any member of an applicant family.
(v) Applicants who are working or who have been notified that they are hired to work in a residency preference area must be treated as residents of the residency preference area. The PHA may treat graduates of, or active participants in, education and training programs in a residency preference area as residents of the residency preference area if the education or training program is designed to prepare individuals for the job market.
(2) Preference for working families. The PHA may adopt a preference for admission of working families (families where the head, spouse or sole member is employed). However, an applicant shall be given the benefit of the working family preference if the head and spouse, or sole member is age 62 or older, or is a person with disabilities.
(3) Preference for person with disabilities. The PHA may adopt a preference for admission of families that include a person with disabilities. However, the PHA may not adopt a preference for admission of persons with a specific disability.
(5) Preference for single persons who are elderly, displaced, homeless, or persons with disabilities. The PHA may adopt a preference for admission of single persons who are age 62 or older, displaced, homeless, or persons with disabilities over other single persons.
(1) Date and time of application; or
(2) A drawing or other random choice technique.
(d) Preference for higher-income families. The PHA must not select families for admission to the program in an order different from the order on the waiting list for the purpose of selecting higher income families for admission to the program.
(e) Verification of selection method. The method for selecting applicants from a preference category must leave a clear audit trail that can be used to verify that each applicant has been selected in accordance with the method specified in the administrative plan.
Title 24 published on 2015-04-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 24 CFR Part 982 after this date.