25 CFR 169.1 - Definitions.
(a) This part is intended to streamline the procedures and conditions under which BIA will consider a request to approve (i.e., grant) rights-of-way over and across tribal lands, individually owned Indian lands, and BIA lands, by providing for the use of the broad authority under 25 U.S.C. 323-328, rather than the limited authorities under other statutes. This part is also intended to support tribal self-determination and self-governance by acknowledging and incorporating tribal law and policies in processing a request for a right-of-way across tribal lands and defer to the maximum extent possible to Indian landowner decisions regarding their Indian land.
(b) This part specifies:
(1) Conditions and authorities under which we will consider a request to approve rights-of-way over or across Indian land;
(2) How to obtain a right-of-way;
(3) Terms and conditions required in rights-of-way;
(4) How we administer and enforce rights-of-ways;
(5) How to renew, amend, assign, and mortgage rights-of-way; and
(6) Whether rights-of-way are required for service line agreements.
(c) This part does not cover rights-of-way over or across tribal lands within a reservation for the purpose of Federal Power Act projects, such as constructing, operating, or maintaining dams, water conduits, reservoirs, powerhouses, transmission lines, or other works which must constitute a part of any project for which a license is required by the Federal Power Act.
(1) The Federal Power Act provides that any license that must be issued to use tribal lands within a reservation must be subject to and contain such conditions as the Secretary deems necessary for the adequate protection and utilization of such lands (16 U.S.C. 797(e)).
(2) In the case of tribal lands belonging to a tribe organized under the Indian Reorganization Act of 1934 (25 U.S.C. 476), the Federal Power Act requires that annual charges for the use of such tribal lands under any license issued by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission must be subject to the approval of the tribe (16 U.S.C. 803(e)).
Title 25 published on 2015-04-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 25 CFR Part 169 after this date.