25 CFR 169.1 - Definitions.

prev | next
§ 169.1 Definitions.
As used in this part 169:
(a) Secretary means the Secretary of the Interior or his authorized representative acting under delegated authority. Before proceeding under these regulations anyone desiring a right-of-way should inquire at the Indian Agency, Area Field Office, or other office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs having immediate supervision over the lands involved to determine the identity of the authorized representative of the Secretary for the purposes of this part 169.
(b) Individually owned land means land or any interest therein held in trust by the United States for the benefit of individual Indians and land or any interest therein held by individual Indians subject to Federal restrictions against alienation or encumbrance.
(c) Tribe means a tribe, band, nation, community, group or pueblo of Indians.
(d) Tribal land means land or any interest therein, title to which is held by the United States in trust for a tribe, or title to which is held by any tribe subject to Federal restrictions against alienation or encumbrance, and includes such land reserved for Indian Bureau administrative purposes. The term also includes lands held by the United States in trust for an Indian corporation chartered under section 17 of the Act of June 18, 1934 (48 Stat. 988; 25 U.S.C. 477).
(e) Government owned land means land owned by the United States and under the jurisdiction of the Secretary which was acquired or set aside for the use and benefit of Indians and not included in the definitions set out in paragraphs (b) and (d) of this section.

Title 25 published on 2014-04-01.

No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 25 CFR Part 169.

This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.

This list is taken from the Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules provided by GPO [Government Printing Office].

It is not guaranteed to be accurate or up-to-date, though we do refresh the database weekly. More limitations on accuracy are described at the GPO site.

United States Code

Title 25 published on 2014-04-01

The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 25 CFR Part 169 after this date.

  • 2014-11-04; vol. 79 # 213 - Tuesday, November 4, 2014
    1. 79 FR 65360 - Rights-of-Way on Indian Land
      GPO FDSys XML | Text
      DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR, Bureau of Indian Affairs
      Proposed rule; Extension of comment period.
      Comments on the proposed rule published June 17, 2014 (79 FR 34455) must be received by November 28, 2014.
      25 CFR Part 169