25 CFR 170.402 - What is the tribal role in transportation planning?
(a) All tribes must prepare a tribal TIP (TTIP) or tribal priority list.
(b) Tribes with a self-determination contract or self-governance agreement may assume any of the following planning functions:
(1) Coordinating with States and their political subdivisions, and appropriate planning authorities on regionally significant IRR projects;
(2) Preparing IRR Inventory data updates;
(3) Facilitating public involvement;
(4) Performing traffic studies;
(5) Developing short- and long-range transportation plans;
(7) Developing and maintaining tribal management systems;
(8) Participating in transportation planning and other transportation related meetings;
(9) Performing transportation planning for operational and maintenance facilities;
(10) Developing IRR Program budgets including transportation planning cost estimates;
(11) Conducting special transportation studies, as appropriate;
(12) Researching rights-of-way documents for project planning; and
(13) Performing preliminary project planning.