26 CFR § 1.401(a)-14 - Commencement of benefits under qualified trusts.
(a) In general. Under section 401(a)(14), a trust to which section 411 applies (without regard to section 411(e)(2) is not qualified under section 401 unless the plan of which such trust is a part provides that the payment of benefits under the plan to the participant will begin not later than the 60th day after the close of the plan year in which the latest of the following events occurs -
(b) Election of later date -
(1) General rule. A plan may permit a participant to elect that the payment to him of any benefit under a plan will commence at a date later than the dates specified under paragraphs (a)(1), (2), and (3) of this section.
(2) Manner of election. A plan permitting an election under this paragraph shall require that such election must be made by submitting to the plan administrator a written statement, signed by the participant, which describes the benefit and the date on which the payment of such benefit shall commence.
(3) Restriction. An election may not be made pursuant to a plan provision permitted by this paragraph if the exercise of such election will cause benefits payable under the plan with respect to the participant in the event of his death to be more than “incidental” within the meaning of paragraph (b)(1)(i) of § 1.401-1.
(c) Special early retirement rule -
(1) Separation prior to early retirement age. A trust forming part of a plan which provides for the payment of an early retirement benefit is not qualified under section 401 unless, upon satisfaction of the age requirement for such early retirement benefit, a participant who -
(ii) Separated from service (with any nonforfeitable right to an accrued benefit) before satisfying such age requirement,
(2) Reduced normal retirement benefit. For purposes of this section, the reduced normal retirement benefit is the benefit to which the participant would have been entitled under the plan at normal retirement age, reduced in accordance with reasonable actuarial assumptions.
(3) Separation prior to effective date of this section. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply in the case of a plan participant who separates from service before attainment of early retirement age and prior to the effective date of this section set forth in paragraph (e) of this section.
(4) Illustration. The provisions of this paragraph may be illustrated by the following example:
(d) Retroactive payment rule. If the amount of the payment required to commence on the date determined under this section cannot be ascertained by such date, or if it is not possible to make such payment on such date because the plan administrator has been unable to locate the participant after making reasonable efforts to do so, a payment retroactive to such date may be made no later than 60 days after the earliest date on which the amount of such payment can be ascertained under the plan or the date on which the participant is located (whichever is applicable).
The following state regulations pages link to this page.