27 CFR 5.63 - Mandatory statements.
(a) Responsible advertiser. The advertisement shall state the name and address of the permittee responsible for its publication or broadcast. Street number and name may be omitted in the address.
(b) Class and type. The advertisement shall contain a conspicuous statement of the class to which the product belongs and the type thereof corresponding with the statement of class and type which is required to appear on the label of the product.
(c) Alcohol content -
(1) Mandatory statement. The alcohol content for distilled spirits shall be stated in percent-alcohol-by-volume. Products such as “Rock and Rye” or similar products containing a significant amount of solid material shall state the alcohol content at the time of bottling as follows: “Bottled at ___ percent-alcohol-by-volume.”
(2) Optional statement. In addition, the advertisement may also state the alcohol content in degrees of proof if this information appears in direct conjunction (i.e., with no intervening material) with the statement expressed in percent-alcohol-by-volume. If both forms of alcohol content are shown, the optional statement in degrees of proof shall be placed in parentheses, in brackets, or otherwise distinguished from the mandatory statement in percent-alcohol-by-volume to emphasize the fact that both expressions of alcohol content mean the same thing.
(d) Percentage of neutral spirits and name of commodity.
(1) In the case of distilled spirits (other than cordials, liqueurs, and specialties) produced by blending or rectification, if neutral spirits have been used in the production thereof, there shall be stated the percentage of neutral spirits so used and the name of the commodity from which such neutral spirits have been distilled. The statement of percentage and the name of the commodity shall be made in substantially the following form: “__% neutral spirits distilled from ____ (insert grain, cane products, or fruit, as appropriate)”; or __% neutral spirits (vodka) distilled from ____ (insert grain, cane product, or fruit, as appropriate)”; or “__% grain (cane products), (fruit) neutral spirits”; or “__% grain spirits”.
(2) In the case of neutral spirits or of gin produced by a process of continuous distillation, there shall be stated the name of the commodity from which such neutral spirits or gin has been distilled. The statement of the name of the commodity shall be made in substantially the following form: “Distilled from grain”, or “Distilled from cane products”, or “Distilled from fruit.”
(1) If an advertisement refers to a general distilled spirits line or all of the distilled spirits products of one company, whether by the company name or by the brand name common to all the distilled spirits in the line, the only mandatory information necessary is the name and address of the responsible advertiser. This exception does not apply where only one type of distilled spirits is marketed under the specific brand name advertised.
(2) On consumer specialty items, the only information necessary is the company name or brand name of the product.