29 CFR § 2.34 - Beneficiary protections: written notice.
(a) Contents. Religious organizations providing social services to beneficiaries under a DOL program supported by direct Federal financial assistance must give written notice to beneficiaries and prospective beneficiaries of certain protections. Such notice must be given in a manner prescribed by DOL, and state that:
(1) The organization may not discriminate against a beneficiary or prospective beneficiary on the basis of religion or religious belief, a refusal to hold a religious belief, or a refusal to attend or participate in a religious practice;
(2) The organization may not require beneficiaries to attend or participate in any explicitly religious activities (including activities that involve overt religious content such as worship, religious instruction, or proselytization) that are offered by our organization, and any participation by beneficiaries in such activities must be purely voluntary;
(3) The organization must separate out in time or location any privately-funded explicitly religious activities (including activities that involve overt religious content such as worship, religious instruction, or proselytization) from activities supported with direct Federal financial assistance;
(4) If a beneficiary objects to the religious character of the organization, the organization must make reasonable efforts to identify and refer the beneficiary to an alternative provider to which the beneficiary has no objection. The organization cannot guarantee, however, that in every instance, an alternative provider will be available; and
(5) Beneficiaries or prospective beneficiaries may report violations of these protections to, or file a written complaint of any denials of services or benefits by an organization with, the U.S. Department of Labor's Civil Rights Center. The required language of the notice is set forth in appendix A to these regulations and may be downloaded from the Civil Rights Center's Web site at http://www.dol.gov/oasam/programs/crc or at the Center for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships' Web site at http://www.dol.gov/cfbnp. DOL social service providers may post and distribute exact duplicate copies of the notice, including through electronic means.
(b) Timing of notice. This written notice must be given to beneficiaries prior to the time they enroll in the program or receive services from such programs. When the nature of the service provided or exigent circumstances make it impracticable to provide such written notice in advance of the actual service, DOL social service providers must advise beneficiaries of their protections at the earliest available opportunity.
(c) Applicability. The obligations in this subsection apply only to religious organizations providing services under social service programs administered in the United States.