29 CFR 541.100 - General rule for executive employees.
(a) The term “employee employed in a bona fide executive capacity” in section 13(a)(1) of the Act shall mean any employee:
(1) Compensated on a salary basis pursuant to § 541.600 at a rate per week of not less than the 40th percentile of weekly earnings of full-time nonhourly workers in the lowest-wage Census Region (or 84 percent of that amount per week, if employed in American Samoa by employers other than the Federal government), exclusive of board, lodging or other facilities. Beginning January 1, 2020, and every three years thereafter, the Secretary shall update the required salary amount pursuant to § 541.607;
(2) Whose primary duty is management of the enterprise in which the employee is employed or of a customarily recognized department or subdivision thereof;
(3) Who customarily and regularly directs the work of two or more other employees; and
(4) Who has the authority to hire or fire other employees or whose suggestions and recommendations as to the hiring, firing, advancement, promotion or any other change of status of other employees are given particular weight.
(b) The phrase “salary basis” is defined at § 541.602; “board, lodging or other facilities” is defined at § 541.606; “primary duty” is defined at § 541.700; and “customarily and regularly” is defined at § 541.701.
- 29 CFR 541.106 — Concurrent Duties.
- 29 CFR 541.607 — Automatic Updates to Amounts of Salary and Compensation Required.
- 29 CFR 541.104 — Two or More Other Employees.
- 29 CFR 541.710 — Employees of Public Agencies.
- 29 CFR 541.702 — Exempt and Nonexempt Work.
- 29 CFR 541.601 — Highly Compensated Employees.
- 29 CFR 541.3 — Scope of the Section 13(a)(1) Exemptions.