31 CFR 1.32 - Use and disclosure of social security numbers.
(b) Exceptions. The provisions of paragraph (a) of this section shall not apply with respect to:
(1) Any disclosure which is required by Federal statute, or
(2) The disclosure of a social security number to any Federal, State, or local agency maintaining a system of records in existence and operating before January 1, 1975, if such disclosure was required under statute or regulation adopted prior to such date to verify the identity of an individual.
(1) Disclosure is mandatory or voluntary.
(2) By what statutory or other authority such number is solicited, and
(3) What uses will be made of it. (See section 7 of the Privacy Act of 1974 set forth at 5 U.S.C. 552a, note.)