31 CFR 546.201 - Prohibited transactions involving blocked property.
(a) Except as authorized by regulations, orders, directives, rulings, instructions, licenses, or otherwise, and notwithstanding any contracts entered into or any license or permit granted prior to the effective date, all property and interests in property that are in the United States, that hereafter come within the United States, or that are or hereafter come within the possession or control of U.S. persons, including their overseas branches, of the following persons are blocked and may not be transferred, paid, exported, withdrawn, or otherwise dealt in:
(2) Any person determined by the Secretary of the Treasury, after consultation with the Secretary of State:
(i) To have constituted a threat to the peace process in Darfur;
(ii) To have constituted a threat to stability in Darfur and the region;
(iii) To be responsible for conduct related to the conflict in Darfur that violates international law;
(iv) To be responsible for heinous conduct with respect to human life or limb related to the conflict in Darfur;
(v) To have directly or indirectly supplied, sold, or transferred arms or any related materiel, or any assistance, advice, or training related to military activities to:
(A) The Government of Sudan;
(B) The Sudan Liberation Movement/Army;
(C) The Justice and Equality Movement;
(D) The Janjaweed; or
(E) Any person (other than a person listed in paragraph (a)(2)(v)(A) through (a)(2)(v)(D) of this section) operating in the states of North Darfur, South Darfur, or West Darfur that is a belligerent, a nongovernmental entity, or an individual;
(vi) To be responsible for offensive military overflights in and over the Darfur region;
(vii) To have materially assisted, sponsored, or provided financial, material, or technological support for, or goods or services in support of, the activities described in paragraphs (a)(2)(i) through (a)(2)(vi) of this section or any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this paragraph (a); or
(viii) To be owned or controlled by, or acting or purporting to act for or on behalf of, directly or indirectly, any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this paragraph (a).
The names of persons listed in or designated pursuant to Executive Order 13400, whose property and interests in property therefore are blocked pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section, are published in the Federal Register and incorporated into the Office of Foreign Assets Control's Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List (“SDN List”) with the identifier “[DARFUR].” The SDN List is accessible through the following page on the Office of Foreign Assets Control's Web site: http://www.treasury.gov/sdn. Additional information pertaining to the SDN List can be found in appendix A to this chapter. See § 546.411 concerning entities that may not be listed on the SDN List but whose property and interests in property are nevertheless blocked pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section.
The International Emergency Economic Powers Act ( 50 U.S.C. 1701- 1706), in Section 203 ( 50 U.S.C. 1702), authorizes the blocking of property and interests in property of a person during the pendency of an investigation. The names of persons whose property and interests in property are blocked pending investigation pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section also are published in the Federal Register and incorporated into the SDN List with the identifier “[BPI-DARFUR].”
Sections 501.806 and 501.807 of this chapter V describe the procedures to be followed by persons seeking, respectively, the unblocking of funds that they believe were blocked due to mistaken identity, or administrative reconsideration of their status as persons whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section.
(b) The prohibitions in paragraph (a) of this section include, but are not limited to, prohibitions on the following transactions when engaged in by a United States person or within the United States:
(1) The making of any contribution or provision of funds, goods, or services by, to, or for the benefit of any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section; and
(c) Unless otherwise authorized by this part or by a specific license expressly referring to this section, any dealing in any security (or evidence thereof) held within the possession or control of a U.S. person and either registered or inscribed in the name of, or known to be held for the benefit of, or issued by, any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section is prohibited. This prohibition includes but is not limited to the transfer (including the transfer on the books of any issuer or agent thereof), disposition, transportation, importation, exportation, or withdrawal of, or the endorsement or guaranty of signatures on, any such security on or after the effective date. This prohibition applies irrespective of the fact that at any time (whether prior to, on, or subsequent to the effective date) the registered or inscribed owner of any such security may have or might appear to have assigned, transferred, or otherwise disposed of the security.
Title 31 published on 2015-09-23
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 31 CFR Part 546 after this date.
- 31 CFR 546.406 — Offshore Transactions.
- 31 CFR 546.303 — Effective Date.
- 31 CFR 546.504 — Payments and Transfers to Blocked Accounts in U.S. Financial Institutions.
- 31 CFR 546.404 — Transactions Ordinarily Incident to a Licensed Transaction.
- 31 CFR 546.407 — Payments From Blocked Accounts to Satisfy Obligations Prohibited.
- 31 CFR 546.202 — Effect of Transfers Violating the Provisions of This Part.
- 31 CFR 546.508 — Authorization of Emergency Medical Services.
- 31 CFR 546.204 — Expenses of Maintaining Blocked Physical Property; Liquidation of Blocked Property.
- 31 CFR 546.507 — Provision of Certain Legal Services Authorized.
- 31 CFR 546.403 — Termination and Acquisition of an Interest in Blocked Property.
- 31 CFR 546.313 — Financial, Material, or Technological Support.
- 31 CFR 546.409 — Credit Extended and Cards Issued by U.S. Financial Institutions.
- 31 CFR 546.411 — Entities Owned by a Person Whose Property and Interests in Property Are Blocked.
- 31 CFR 546.506 — Investment and Reinvestment of Certain Funds.
- 31 CFR 546.302 — Blocked Account; Blocked Property.
- 31 CFR 546.405 — Provision of Services.
- 31 CFR 546.410 — Setoffs Prohibited.
- 31 CFR 546.201 — Prohibited Transactions Involving Blocked Property.
- 31 CFR 546.203 — Holding of Funds in Interest-Bearing Accounts; Investment and Reinvestment.
- 31 CFR 546.408 — Charitable Contributions.