31 CFR 560.537 - Authorization of certain survey or assessment missions in Iran.
(a) Subject to the conditions of paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this section, nongovernmental organizations are authorized to conduct survey or assessment missions in Iran related to the planning or preparation for the provision of humanitarian support to the Iraqi people. This section does not authorize the actual provision of such humanitarian support in Iran.
(b) The authorization of paragraph (a) of this section is available only to the following types of nongovernmental organizations:
(1) Nongovernmental organizations registered pursuant to 31 CFR 575.527; or
(2) Nongovernmental organizations that have been issued specific licenses under 31 CFR part 575 to carry out humanitarian activities in Iraq, but not including organizations that have been issued specific licenses solely to export goods to Iraq.
(c) This section does not authorize nongovernmental organizations to open offices or to establish permanent facilities of any kind or to purchase any goods, services, or technology in Iran of any kind, except those described in paragraph (d)(3) of this section.
(1) U.S. financial institutions are authorized to engage in funds transfers in connection with transactions authorized pursuant to this section consistent with the provisions of 31 CFR 560.516.
(2) Nongovernmental organizations conducting transactions under this section based on a specific license or a registration issued pursuant to 31 CFR part 575 must reference their license or registration number on all payments and funds transfers and on all related documentation.
(3) Any funds transferred to Iran pursuant to this section may be used only for the purchase of services and goods necessary and essential to the conduct of the assessment mission and, whether U.S. or foreign origin, not of the type controlled under the Department of Commerce's Export Administration Regulations for exportation or re-exportation to Iran or controlled on the United States Munitions List.
(i) No exportations or re-exportations of goods or technology, whether U.S. or foreign origin, to Iran are permitted pursuant to this section, except for those items intended for temporary use, as personal baggage, by mission representatives, provided that such items are either consumed by mission representatives during the visit or removed from Iran at the end of each visit, and further provided that any such personal items are not of the type controlled under the Department of Commerce's Export Administration Regulations for exportation or re-exportation to Iran or controlled on the United States Munitions List.
(ii) Nongovernmental organizations that wish to export or re-export goods or technology to Iran, beyond personal baggage items described in paragraph (d)(4)(i) of this section, as part of a survey or assessment mission must apply for specific authorization from the Office of Foreign Assets Control pursuant to § 501.801(b), CFR chapter V.
(5) Nongovernmental organizations acting under this section shall take adequate measures to prevent any items authorized for exportation, re-exportation, or local purchase from being obtained or acquired by the Government of Iran.
[68 FR 11743, Mar. 12, 2003]
Title 31 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.