31 CFR 588.201 - Prohibited transactions involving blocked property.
(a) All property and interests in property that are in the United States, that hereafter come within the United States, or that are or hereafter come within the possession or control of U.S. persons, including their overseas branches, of the following persons are blocked and may not be transferred, paid, exported, withdrawn, or otherwise dealt in:
(1) Any person listed in the Annex to Executive Order 13219 of June 26, 2001 ( 66 FR 34777, 3 CFR, 2001 Comp., p.778), as amended by Executive Order 13304 of May 28, 2003 ( 68 FR 32315, 3 CFR, 2004 Comp. p. 229); and
(2) Any person determined by the Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Secretary of State:
(i) To be under open indictment by the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, unless circumstances warrant otherwise; or
(ii) To have committed, or to pose a significant risk of committing, acts of violence that have the purpose or effect of threatening the peace in or diminishing the stability or security of any area or state in the Western Balkans region, undermining the authority, efforts, or objectives of international organizations or entities present in the region, or endangering the safety of persons participating in or providing support to the activities of those international organizations or entities; or
(iii) To have actively obstructed, or pose a significant risk of actively obstructing, the Ohrid Framework Agreement of 2001 relating to Macedonia, United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244 relating to Kosovo, or the Dayton Accords or the Conclusions of the Peace Implementation Conference held in London on December 8-9, 1995, including the decisions or conclusions of the High Representative, the Peace Implementation Council or its Steering Board, relating to Bosnia and Herzegovina; or
(iv) To have materially assisted in, sponsored, or provided financial, material, or technological support for, or goods or services in support of, such acts of violence or obstructionism or any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this paragraph (a); or
(v) To be owned or controlled by, or acting or purporting to act directly or indirectly for or on behalf of, any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this paragraph (a).
The names of persons listed in or designated pursuant to Executive Order 13219, as amended by Executive Order 13304, whose property and interests in property therefore are blocked pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section, are published in the Federal Register and incorporated into the Office of Foreign Assets Control's Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List (“SDN List”) with the identifier “[BALKANS].” The SDN List is accessible through the following page on the Office of Foreign Assets Control's Web site: http://www.treasury.gov/sdn. Additional information pertaining to the SDN List can be found in appendix A to this chapter. See § 588.411 concerning entities that may not be listed on the SDN List but whose property and interests in property are nevertheless blocked pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section.
The International Emergency Economic Powers Act ( 50 U.S.C. 1701- 1706), in Section 203 ( 50 U.S.C. 1702), authorizes the blocking of property and interests in property of a person during the pendency of an investigation. The names of persons whose property and interests in property are blocked pending investigation pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section also are published in the Federal Register and incorporated into the SDN List with the identifier “[BPI-BALKANS].”
Sections 501.806 and 501.807 of this chapter describe the procedures to be followed by persons seeking, respectively, the unblocking of funds that they believe were blocked due to mistaken identity, or administrative reconsideration of their status as persons whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section.
(b) The prohibitions in paragraph (a) of this section include, but are not limited to, prohibitions on the following transactions:
(1) The making of any contribution or provision of funds, goods, or services by, to, or for the benefit of any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section; and
(c) Unless authorized by this part or by a specific license expressly referring to this section, any dealing in any security (or evidence thereof) held within the possession or control of a U.S. person and either registered or inscribed in the name of, or known to be held for the benefit of, or issued by, any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to paragraph (a) of this section is prohibited. This prohibition includes but is not limited to the transfer (including the transfer on the books of any issuer or agent thereof), disposition, transportation, importation, exportation, or withdrawal of, or the endorsement or guaranty of signatures on, any such security on or after the effective date. This prohibition applies irrespective of the fact that at any time (whether prior to, on, or subsequent to the effective date) the registered or inscribed owner of any such security may have or might appear to have assigned, transferred, or otherwise disposed of the security.
(d) The prohibitions in paragraph (a) of this section apply except to the extent transactions are authorized by regulations, orders, directives, rulings, instructions, licenses, or otherwise, and notwithstanding any contracts entered into or any license or permit granted prior to the effective date.
Title 31 published on 13-Sep-2017 03:59
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 31 CFR Part 588 after this date.
- 31 CFR 588.203 — Holding of Funds in Interest-Bearing Accounts; Investment and Reinvestment.
- 31 CFR 588.508 — Authorization of Emergency Medical Services.
- 31 CFR 588.507 — Provision of Certain Legal Services Authorized.
- 31 CFR 588.408 — Charitable Contributions.
- 31 CFR 588.504 — Payments and Transfers to Blocked Accounts in U.S. Financial Institutions.
- 31 CFR 588.312 — Financial, Material, or Technological Support.
- 31 CFR 588.409 — Credit Extended and Cards Issued by U.S. Financial Institutions.
- 31 CFR 588.406 — Offshore Transactions.
- 31 CFR 588.506 — Investment and Reinvestment of Certain Funds.
- 31 CFR 588.410 — Setoffs Prohibited.
- 31 CFR 588.204 — Expenses of Maintaining Blocked Physical Property; Liquidation of Blocked Property.
- 31 CFR 588.302 — Effective Date.
- 31 CFR 588.201 — Prohibited Transactions Involving Blocked Property.
- 31 CFR 588.202 — Effect of Transfers Violating the Provisions of This Part.
- 31 CFR 588.407 — Payments From Blocked Accounts to Satisfy Obligations Prohibited.
- 31 CFR 588.403 — Termination and Acquisition of an Interest in Blocked Property.
- 31 CFR 588.405 — Provision of Services.
- 31 CFR 588.411 — Entities Owned by a Person Whose Property and Interests in Property Are Blocked.
- 31 CFR 588.301 — Blocked Account; Blocked Property.
- 31 CFR 588.404 — Transactions Ordinarily Incident to a Licensed Transaction.