Beta! The text on the eCFR tab represents the unofficial eCFR text at ecfr.gov.
§ 156.130 Connection.
(a) Each person who makes a connection for transfer operations shall:
(1) Use suitable material in joints and couplings to ensure a leak-free seal;
(2) Use a bolt in at least every other hole, and in no case less than four bolts, in each temporary bolted connection that uses a flange that meets American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standard flange requirements under § 154.500(d)(2) of this chapter;
(3) Use a bolt in each hole in each temporary bolted connection that uses a flange other than one that meets ANSI standards;
(4) Use a bolt in each hole of each permanently connected flange;
(5) Use bolts of the correct size in each bolted connection; and
(6) Tighten each bolt and nut uniformly to distribute the load and sufficiently to ensure a leak free seal.
(b) A person who makes a connection for transfer operations must not use any bolt that shows signs of strain or is elongated or deteriorated.
(c) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, no person may use a connection for transfer operations unless it is:
(1) A bolted or full threaded connection; or
(2) A quick-connect coupling acceptable to the Commandant.
(d) No person may transfer oil or hazardous material to a vessel that has a fill pipe for which containment cannot practically be provided unless an automatic back pressure shutoff nozzle is used.