33 CFR 156.130 - Connection.
(a) Each person who makes a connection for transfer operations shall:
(1) Use suitable material in joints and couplings to ensure a leak-free seal;
(2) Use a bolt in at least every other hole, and in no case less than four bolts, in each temporary bolted connection that uses a flange that meets American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standard flange requirements under § 154.500(d)(2) of this chapter;
(3) Use a bolt in each hole in each temporary bolted connection that uses a flange other than one that meets ANSI standards;
(4) Use a bolt in each hole of each permanently connected flange;
(5) Use bolts of the correct size in each bolted connection; and
(6) Tighten each bolt and nut uniformly to distribute the load and sufficiently to ensure a leak free seal.
(b) A person who makes a connection for transfer operations must not use any bolt that shows signs of strain or is elongated or deteriorated.
(1) A bolted or full threaded connection; or
(2) A quick-connect coupling acceptable to the Commandant.