33 CFR 164.39 - Steering gear: Foreign tankers.
(1) Transfers oil at a port or place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States; or
(b)Definitions. The terms used in this section are as follows:
Constructed means the same as in Chapter II-1, Regulations 1.1.2 and 184.108.40.206, of SOLAS 74.
Existing tanker means a tanker -
(1) For which the building contract is placed on or after June 1, 1979;
(2) In the absence of a building contract, the keel of which is laid or which is at a similar stage of construction on or after January 1, 1980;
(3) The delivery of which occurs on or after June 1, 1982; or
(4) That has undergone a major conversion contracted for on or after June 1, 1979; or construction of which was begun on or after January 1, 1980, or completed on or after June 1, 1982.
Public vessel, oil, hazardous materials, and foreign vessel mean the same as in 46 U.S.C. 2101.
SOLAS 74 means the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1974, as amended.
(e) Each tanker of 40,000 gross tons or more, constructed before September 1, 1984, that does not meet the single-failure criterion of Chapter II-1, Regulation 29.16, of SOLAS 74, must meet the requirements of Chapter II-1, Regulation 29.20, of SOLAS 74.
Title 33 published on 2015-08-22
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 33 CFR Part 164 after this date.