34 CFR 303.422 - Surrogate parents.
(1) No parent (as defined in § 303.27) can be identified;
(3) The child is a ward of the State under the laws of that State.
(b) Duty of lead agency and other public agencies.
(1) The duty of the lead agency, or other public agency under paragraph (a) of this section, includes the assignment of an individual to act as a surrogate for the parent. This assignment process must include a method for -
(2) In implementing the provisions under this section for children who are wards of the State or placed in foster care, the lead agency must consult with the public agency that has been assigned care of the child.
(c) Wards of the State. In the case of a child who is a ward of the State, the surrogate parent, instead of being appointed by the lead agency under paragraph (b)(1) of this section, may be appointed by the judge overseeing the infant or toddler's case provided that the surrogate parent meets the requirements in paragraphs (d)(2)(i) and (e) of this section.
(d) Criteria for selection of surrogate parents.
(2) Public agencies must ensure that a person selected as a surrogate parent -
(i) Is not an employee of the lead agency or any other public agency or EIS provider that provides early intervention services, education, care, or other services to the child or any family member of the child;
(ii) Has no personal or professional interest that conflicts with the interest of the child he or she represents; and
(iii) Has knowledge and skills that ensure adequate representation of the child.
(e) Non-employee requirement; compensation. A person who is otherwise qualified to be a surrogate parent under paragraph (d) of this section is not an employee of the agency solely because he or she is paid by the agency to serve as a surrogate parent.
(g) Lead agency responsibility. The lead agency must make reasonable efforts to ensure the assignment of a surrogate parent not more than 30 days after a public agency determines that the child needs a surrogate parent.
Title 34 published on 2015-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 34 CFR Part 303 after this date.