34 CFR 645.14 - What additional services do Upward Bound Math and Science Centers provide and how are they organized?
(a) In addition to the services that must be provided under § 645.11(a) and may be provided under § 645.11(b), an Upward Bound Math and Science Center must provide -
(1) Intensive instruction in mathematics and science, including hands-on experience in laboratories, in computer facilities, and at field-sites;
(2) Activities that will provide participants with opportunities to learn from mathematicians and scientists who are engaged in research and teaching at the applicant institution, or who are engaged in research or applied science at hospitals, governmental laboratories, or other public and private agencies;
(3) Activities that will involve participants with graduate and undergraduate science and mathematics majors who may serve as tutors and counselors for participants; and
(4) A summer instructional component that is designed to simulate a college-going experience that is at least six weeks in length and includes daily coursework and other activities as described in this section as well as in § 645.11.
(b) Math Science Upward Bound Centers may also include -
(1) A summer bridge component consisting of math and science related coursework for those participants who have completed high school and intend on enrolling in an institution of higher education in the following fall term; and
(2) An academic year component designed by the applicant to enhance achievement of project objectives in the most cost-effective way taking into account the distances involved in reaching participants in the project's target area.
Title 34 published on 2015-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 34 CFR Part 645 after this date.