34 CFR 668.134 - Institutional policies and procedures for requesting documentation and receiving secondary confirmation.
(a) An institution shall establish and use written policies and procedures for requesting proof and securing confirmation of the immigration status of applicants for title IV, HEA student financial assistance who claim to meet the eligibility requirements of § 668.33(a)(2). These policies and procedures must include -
(1) Providing the student a deadline by which to provide the documentation that the student wishes to have considered to support the claim that the student meets the requirements of § 668.33(a)(2);
(2) Providing to the student information concerning the consequences of a failure to provide the documentation by the deadline set by the institution; and
(3) Providing that the institution will not make a determination that the student is not an eligible noncitizen until the institution has provided the student the opportunity to submit the documentation in support of the student's claim of eligibility under § 668.33(a)(2).
(b) An institution shall furnish, in writing, to each student required to undergo secondary confirmation -
(1) A clear explanation of the documentation the student must submit as evidence that the student satisfies the requirements of § 668.33(a)(2); and
(2) A clear explanation of the student's responsibilities with respect to the student's compliance with § 668.33(a)(2), including the deadlines for completing any action required under this subpart and the consequences of failing to complete any required action, as specified in § 668.137.