34 CFR 668.206 - Consequences of cohort default rates on your ability to participate in Title IV, HEA programs.
(a)End of participation.
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, you lose your eligibility to participate in the FFEL and Direct Loan programs 30 days after you receive our notice that your most recent cohort default rate for fiscal year 2011 or later is greater than 40 percent.
(2) Except as provided in paragraphs (d) and (e) of this section, you lose your eligibility to participate in the FFEL, Direct Loan, and Federal Pell Grant programs 30 days after you receive our notice that your three most recent cohort default rates are each 30 percent or greater.
(b)Length of period of ineligibility. Your loss of eligibility under this section continues -
(2) For the next 2 fiscal years.
(1) Any concurrent or subsequent loss of eligibility under this section; or
(2) Any other action by us.
(d)Continuing participation in Pell. If you are subject to a loss of eligibility under paragraph (a)(2) of this section, based on three cohort default rates of 30 percent or greater, you may continue to participate in the Federal Pell Grant Program if we determine that you -
(1) Were ineligible to participate in the FFEL and Direct Loan programs before October 7, 1998, and your eligibility was not reinstated;
(3) Have not certified an FFELP loan or originated a Direct Loan Program loan on or after July 7, 1998.
(e)Requests for adjustments and appeals.
(1) A loss of eligibility under this section does not take effect while your request for adjustment or appeal, as listed in § 668.208(a), is pending, provided your request for adjustment or appeal is complete, timely, accurate, and in the required format.
(2) Eligibility continued under paragraph (e)(1) of this section ends if we determine that none of the requests for adjustments and appeals you have submitted qualify you for continued eligibility under § 668.208. Loss of eligibility takes effect on the date that you receive notice of our determination on your last pending request for adjustment or appeal.
(3) You do not lose eligibility under this section if we determine that your request for adjustment or appeal meets all requirements of this subpart and qualifies you for continued eligibility under § 668.208.
(4) To avoid liabilities you might otherwise incur under paragraph (f) of this section, you may choose to suspend your participation in the FFEL and Direct Loan programs during the adjustment or appeal process.
(f)Liabilities during the adjustment or appeal process. If you continued to participate in the FFEL or Direct Loan Program under paragraph (e)(1) of this section, and we determine that none of your requests for adjustments or appeals qualify you for continued eligibility -
(1) For any FFEL or Direct Loan Program loan that you certified and delivered or originated and disbursed more than 30 days after you received the notice of your cohort default rate, we estimate the amount of interest, special allowance, reinsurance, and any related or similar payments we make or are obligated to make on those loans;
(i) You file an appeal under the procedures established in subpart H of this part (for the purposes of subpart H of this part, our notice of the estimate is considered to be a final program review determination); or
(ii) We permit a longer repayment period.
(1) The period described in paragraph (b) of this section has ended;
(2) You pay any amount owed to us under this section or are meeting that obligation under an agreement acceptable to us;
(3) You submit a new application for participation in the program;
- 34 CFR 668.211 — Erroneous Data Appeals.
- 34 CFR 668.204 — Draft Cohort Default Rates and Your Ability to Challenge Before Official Cohort Default Rates Are Issued.
- 34 CFR 668.213 — Economically Disadvantaged Appeals.
- 34 CFR 668.208 — General Requirements for Adjusting Official Cohort Default Rates and for Appealing Their Consequences.
- 34 CFR 668.203 — Determining Cohort Default Rates for Institutions That Have Undergone a Change in Status.
- 34 CFR 668.212 — Loan Servicing Appeals.
- 34 CFR 668.216 — Thirty-Or-Fewer Borrowers Appeals.
- 34 CFR 668.214 — Participation Rate Index Appeals.
- 34 CFR 668.215 — Average Rates Appeals.