34 CFR 668.231 - Definitions.
The following definitions apply to this subpart:
(a)Comprehensive transition and postsecondary program means a degree, certificate, nondegree, or noncertificate program that -
(1) Is offered by a participating institution;
(2) Is delivered to students physically attending the institution;
(3) Is designed to support students with intellectual disabilities who are seeking to continue academic, career and technical, and independent living instruction at an institution of higher education in order to prepare for gainful employment;
(4) Includes an advising and curriculum structure;
(5) Requires students with intellectual disabilities to have at least one-half of their participation in the program, as determined by the institution, focus on academic components through one or more of the following activities:
(i) Taking credit-bearing courses with students without disabilities.
(ii) Auditing or otherwise participating in courses with students without disabilities for which the student does not receive regular academic credit.
(iii) Taking non-credit-bearing, nondegree courses with students without disabilities.
(iv) Participating in internships or work-based training in settings with individuals without disabilities; and
(6) Provides students with intellectual disabilities opportunities to participate in coursework and other activities with students without disabilities.
(b)Student with an intellectual disability means a student -
(1) With mental retardation or a cognitive impairment characterized by significant limitations in -
(i) Intellectual and cognitive functioning; and
(ii) Adaptive behavior as expressed in conceptual, social, and practical adaptive skills; and
(2) Who is currently, or was formerly, eligible for special education and related services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) ( 20 U.S.C. 1401), including a student who was determined eligible for special education or related services under the IDEA but was home-schooled or attended private school.
Title 34 published on 2015-12-04
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 34 CFR Part 668 after this date.