36 CFR 1008.16 - Requests for notification of existence of records and for access to records: Appeals.
(a) Right of appeal. Except for appeals pertaining to records under the jurisdiction of another agency, individuals who have been notified that they are not entitled to notification of whether a system of records contains records pertaining to them or have been denied access, in whole or part, to a requested record may appeal to the Executive Director.
(b) Time for appeal.
(1) An appeal must be received by the Executive Director no later than 20 working days after the date of the initial decision on a request.
(2) The Executive Director may, for good cause shown, extend the time for submission of an appeal if a written request for additional time is received within 20 working days of the date of the initial decision on the request.
(c) Form of appeal.
(1) An appeal shall be in writing and shall attach copies of the initial request and the decision on the request.
(2) The appeal shall contain a brief statement of the reasons why the appellant believes the decision on the initial request to have been in error.
(d) Action on appeals.
(2) The decision on an appeal shall be in writing and shall state the basis for the decision.