37 CFR 201.1 - Communication with the Copyright Office.
(a)General purpose addresses. Members of the public must use the correct address in order to facilitate timely receipt by the U.S. Copyright Office division or section to which an inquiry should be directed. The address set forth in paragraph (b) may be used for general inquiries made to a particular division or section of the U.S. Copyright Office. Addresses for special, limited purposes are provided below in paragraph (c) of this section. Please note that the Library of Congress no longer accepts direct deliveries from commercial couriers and messengers. 1 For additional address information, including information on courier delivery, mail delays, or disruptions, please visit the “Contact us” section on the Office's website (http://www.copyright.gov). General questions may also be directed to the U.S. Copyright Office website submission form at: http://www.copyright.gov/help/general-form.html.
(b)General purpose address.
(1) Mail and other communications that do not come under the areas listed in paragraph (b)(2) of this section shall be addressed to the Library of Congress, U.S. Copyright Office, 101 Independence Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20559-6000.
(2)Codes to facilitate the routing of mail. To assure that postal mail is routed correctly within the U.S. Copyright Office, applicants should indicate, by the appropriate code, the general subject matter of the correspondence. Such correspondence should be addressed to the Office in the following manner: Library of Congress, U.S. Copyright Office - (Insert appropriate code listed below), 101 Independence Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20559-6000.
|Type of submission||Code|
|Registration of Literary Works||TX|
|Registration of Serials||SE|
|Registration of Visual Arts Works||VA|
|Registration of Works of the Performing Arts, except Motion Pictures||PA|
|Registration of Sound Recordings||SR|
|Registration of Motion pictures||MP|
|Registration of Renewal claims||RE|
|Registration of Mask Works||MW|
|Registration of Vessel Designs||VH|
|Notice to Libraries and Archives||NLA|
(c)Limited purpose addresses. The following addresses may be used only in the special, limited circumstances given for a particular U.S. Copyright Office service:
(1)Time Sensitive Requests. Notices related to the filing of copyright infringement suits and submitted pursuant to 17 U.S.C. 411(a) and 17 U.S.C. 508; requests pursuant to 17 U.S.C. 411(b)(2) from district courts to the Register of Copyrights, all other correspondence to the Office of the General Counsel and the Office of Policy and International Affairs, and requests for expedited service from the Records Research and Certification Section of the Office of Public Information and Education to meet the needs of pending or prospective litigation, customs matters, or contract or publishing deadlines should be addressed to: U.S. Copyright Office, P.O. Box 70400, Washington, DC 20024-0400. Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests and FOIA appeals must also be mailed to: P.O. Box 70400, Washington, DC 20024-0400, but clearly labeled “Freedom of Information Act Request” or “Freedom of Information Act Appeal” as appropriate.
(2)Notices of Termination. Notices of Termination of transfers and licenses under sections 203 and 304 of the Copyright Act should be addressed to: U.S. Copyright Office, Notices of Termination, P.O. Box 71537, Washington, DC 20024-1537.
(3)Reconsiderations of Refusals To Register and Requests for Cancellation. First and second requests for reconsideration of refusal to register a copyright, mask work, or vessel design claim, and requests to cancel registered works should be addressed to: U.S. Copyright Office, RAC Division, P.O. Box 71380, Washington, DC 20024-1380.
(4)Searches and Copies of Records or Deposits. Requests for searches of registrations and recordations in the completed catalogs, indexes, and/or other records of the U.S. Copyright Office as well as requests for copies of records or deposits for use in litigation or other authorized purposes should be addressed to: U.S. Copyright Office, Records Research and Certification Section, P.O. Box 70400, Washington, DC 20559-0400.
(5)Inquiries to Licensing Division. Notices related to statutory licenses under 17 U.S.C. 112, 114, and 115 should be addressed to: U.S. Copyright Office, P.O. Box 70977, Washington, DC 20024-0400. Statements of account related to statutory licenses under 17 U.S.C. 119 and chapter 10 should be addressed to: U.S. Copyright Office, SOA, P.O. Box 70400, Washington, DC 20024-0400. Filings or inquiries related to section 111 licenses should be sent to Library of Congress, U.S. Copyright Office, Attn: 111 Licenses, 101 Independence Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20559.
(6)Copyright Acquisitions. Deposit copies submitted under section 407 of the Copyright Act should be addressed to: Library of Congress, U.S. Copyright Office, Attn: 407 Deposits, 101 Independence Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20559. Serial publishers submitting their required complimentary subscriptions to comply with group registration requirements should address these subscriptions to the Library of Congress, Group Periodicals Registration, 101 Independence Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20540-4161.
(7)Requests to remove PII from registration records. Requests to remove personally identifiable information from registration records pursuant to §§ 201.2(e) and (f) should be addressed to: U.S. Copyright Office, Associate Register of Copyrights and Director of the Office of Public Information and Education, P.O. Box 70400, Washington, DC 20024-0400. Requests should be clearly labeled “Request to Remove Requested PII,” “Request for Reconsideration Following Denial of Request to Remove Requested PII,” or “Request to Remove Extraneous PII,” as appropriate.
- 37 CFR 201.16 — Verification of a Statement of Account for Secondary Transmissions Made by Cable Systems and Satellite Carriers.
- 37 CFR 201.33 — Procedures for Filing Notices of Intent to Enforce a Restored Copyright Under the Uruguay Round Agreements Act.
- 37 CFR 201.27 — Initial Notice of Distribution of Digital Audio Recording Devices or Media.
- 37 CFR 201.10 — Notices of Termination of Transfers and Licenses.
- 37 CFR 204.8 — Appeal of Refusal to Correct or Amend an Individual's Record.
- 37 CFR 202.5 — Reconsideration Procedure for Refusals to Register.
- 37 CFR 201.5 — Corrections and Amplifications of Copyright Registrations; Applications for Supplementary Registration.
- 37 CFR 201.38 — Designation of Agent to Receive Notification of Claimed Infringement.
- 37 CFR 205.13 — Complaints Served on the Register of Copyrights Pursuant to 17 U.S.C. 411(a).
- 37 CFR 205.2 — Address for Mail and Service; Telephone Number.
- 37 CFR 201.2 — Information Given by the Copyright Office.
- 37 CFR 201.39 — Notice to Libraries and Archives of Normal Commercial Exploitation or Availability at Reasonable Price.
- 37 CFR 211.1 — General Provisions.
- 37 CFR 202.17 — Renewals.
- 37 CFR 201.34 — Procedures for Filing Correction Notices of Intent to Enforce a Copyright Restored Under the Uruguay Round Agreements Act.
- 37 CFR 201.29 — Access To, and Confidentiality Of, Statements of Account, Verification Auditor's Reports, and Other Verification Information Filed in the Copyright Office for Digital Audio Recording Devices or Media.
- 37 CFR 202.16 — Preregistration of Copyrights.
- 37 CFR 202.3 — Registration of Copyright.
- 37 CFR 212.5 — Recordation of Distinctive Identification of Vessel Designer.
- 37 CFR 202.23 — Full Term Retention of Copyright Deposits.
- 37 CFR 202.12 — Restored Copyrights.