37 CFR 201.1 - Communication with the Copyright Office.
(a) General purpose addresses. Members of the public must use the correct address in order to facilitate timely receipt by the U.S. Copyright Office division or section to which an inquiry should be directed. The address set forth in paragraph (b) may be used for general inquiries made to a particular division or section of the U.S. Copyright Office. Addresses for special, limited purposes are provided below in paragraph (c) of this section. Please note that the Library of Congress no longer accepts on-site deliveries from commercial and private couriers. 1 For additional address information, including information on courier delivery, mail delays, or disruptions, please visit the “Contact us” section on the Office's Web site (http://www.copyright.gov). General questions may also be directed to the U.S. Copyright Office Web site submission form at: http://www.copyright.gov/help/general-form.html.
(b) General purpose address.
(1) Mail and other communications that do not come under the areas listed in paragraph (b)(2) of this section shall be addressed to the Library of Congress, U.S. Copyright Office, 101 Independence Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20559-6000.
(2) Codes to facilitate the routing of mail. To assure that postal mail is routed correctly within the U.S. Copyright Office, applicants should indicate, by the appropriate code, the general subject matter of the correspondence. Such correspondence should be addressed to the Office in the following manner: Library of Congress, U.S. Copyright Office - (Insert appropriate code listed below), 101 Independence Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20559.
|Type of submission||Code|
|Registration of Literary Works||TX|
|Registration of Serials||SE|
|Registration of Visual Arts Works||VA|
|Registration of Works of the Performing Arts, except Motion Pictures||PA|
|Registration of Sound Recordings||SR|
|Registration of Motion pictures||MP|
|Registration of Renewal claims||RE|
|Registration of Mask Works||MW|
|Registration of Vessel Hull Designs||VH|
|Notice to Libraries and Archives||NLA|
(c) Limited purpose addresses. The following addresses may be used only in the special, limited circumstances given for a particular U.S. Copyright Office service:
(1) Time Sensitive Requests. Notices related to the filing of copyright infringement suits and submitted pursuant to 17 U.S.C. 411(a) and 17 U.S.C. 508; requests pursuant to 17 U.S.C. 411(b)(2) from district courts to the Register of Copyrights, all other correspondence to the Office of the General Counsel and the Office of Policy and International Affairs, and requests for expedited service from the Records Research and Certification Section of the Information and Records Division to meet the needs of pending or prospective litigation, customs matters, or contract or publishing deadlines should be addressed to: U.S. Copyright Office, P.O. Box 70400, Washington, DC 20024-0400. Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests and FOIA appeals must also be mailed to: P.O. Box 70400, Washington, DC 20024-0400, but clearly labeled “Freedom of Information Act Request” or “Freedom of Information Act Appeal” as appropriate.
(2) Notices of Termination. Notices of Termination of transfers and licenses under Sections 203 and 304 of the Copyright Act should be addressed to: U.S. Copyright Office, Notices of Termination, P.O. Box 71537, Washington, DC 20024-1537.
(3) Online Service Providers. The designation of an agent to receive notification of claims of infringement for online service providers should be addressed to: U.S. Copyright Office, Designated Agents, P.O. Box 71537, Washington, DC 20024-1537.
(4) Reconsiderations of Refusals To Register and Requests for Cancellation. First and second requests for reconsideration of refusal to register a copyright, mask work, or vessel hull claim, and requests to cancel registered works should be addressed to: U.S. Copyright Office, RAC Division, P.O. Box 71380, Washington, DC 20024-1380.
(5) Searches and Copies of Records or Deposits. Requests for searches of registrations and recordations in the completed catalogs, indexes, and/or other records of the U.S. Copyright Office as well as requests for copies of records or deposits for use in litigation or other authorized purposes should be addressed to: U.S. Copyright Office, Records Research and Certification, P.O. Box 70400, Washington, DC 20559-0400.
(6) Inquiries to Licensing Division. Notices related to statutory licenses under 17 U.S.C. 112, 114, and 115 should be addressed to: U.S. Copyright Office, P.O. Box 70977, Washington, DC 20024-0400. Statements of account related to statutory licenses under 17 U.S.C. 119 and chapter 10 should be addressed to: U.S. Copyright Office, SOA, P.O. Box 70400, Washington, DC 20024-0400. Filings or inquiries related to Section 111 licenses should be sent to Library of Congress, U.S. Copyright Office, Attn: 111 Licenses, 101 Independence Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20559.
(7) Copyright Acquisitions. Deposit copies submitted under Section 407 of the Copyright Act should be addressed to: Library of Congress, U.S. Copyright Office, Attn: 407 Deposits, 101 Independence Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20559. Serial publishers submitting their required complimentary subscriptions to comply with group registration requirements should address these subscriptions to the Library of Congress, Group Periodicals Registration, 101 Independence Ave. SE., Washington, DC 20540-4161.
Title 37 published on 2014-07-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 37 CFR Part 201 after this date.