(a) When authorized, VA may refer an uncollectible debt to another Federal or State agency for the purpose of collection action. Collection action may include the offsetting of the debt from any current or future payment, except salary (see paragraph (e) of this section), made by such Federal or State agency to the person indebted to VA.
(b) VA must certify in writing that the individual owes the debt, the amount and basis of the debt, the date on which payment became due, and the date VA's right to collect the debt first accrued.
(c) This certification will also state that VA provided the debtor with written notice of:
(1) The nature and amount of the debt;
(2) VA's intention to pursue collection by offset procedures;
(3) The opportunity to inspect and copy VA records pertaining to the debt;
(4) The right to contest both the existence and amount of the debt and to request a waiver of collection of the debt (if applicable), as well as the right to a hearing on both matters;
(5) The opportunity to enter into a written agreement with VA for the repayment of the debt; and
(d) The written certification required by paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section will also contain (for all debts) a listing of all actions taken by both VA and the debtor subsequent to the notice, as well as the dates of such actions.
(e) The referral by VA of a VA debt to another agency for the purpose of salary offset shall be done in accordance with 38 CFR 1.980 through 1.995 and regulations prescribed by the Director of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) in 5 CFR part 550, subpart K.