38 CFR § 17.643 - Application for the PREL.
(a) General. A complete application for the PREL consists of a completed application form, letters of reference, and personal statement.
(b) References. The applicant must provide the following letters of reference and sign a release of information form for VA to contact such references. The letters of reference should include the following:
(1) One letter of reference from the Program Director of the core psychiatry program in which the applicant trained or is training, or the Program Director of any psychiatry subspecialty program in which the applicant is training, which indicates that the applicant is in good to excellent standing;
(2) One or more letters of reference from faculty members under which the applicant trained;
(3) One letter of reference from a peer colleague who is familiar with the psychiatry practice and character of the applicant.
(c) Personal statement. The personal statement must include the following documentation:
(1) A cover letter that provides the following information:
(i) Why the applicant is interested in VA employment;
(iii) Likely career goals, including career goals in VA; and
(iv) A brief summary of past employment or training and accomplishments, including any particular clinical areas of interest (e.g., substance abuse).
(2) The following information must be provided on a VA form or online collection system and is subject to VA verification:
(i) Attestation that the applicant is not participating in any other loan repayment program.
(ii) A summary of the applicant's educational debt, which includes the total debt amount and when the debt was acquired. The health professional debt covered the loan must be specific to education that was required, used, and qualified the applicant for appointment as a psychiatrist.
(iii) The name of the lending agency that provided the educational loan.
(3) A full curriculum vitae.