38 CFR 21.146 - Independent instructor course.
(a) Definition. An independent instructor course is a full-time course of vocational training which the veteran pursues with an individual instructor, who, independently of a training institution or on-job training establishment, furnishes and conducts a vocational course at a suitable place of training.
(b) Limitations on including an independent instructor course in a rehabilitation plan. A veteran and his or her case manager may include an independent instructor course in a rehabilitation plan, other than one involving a farm cooperative program, only when either or both of the following conditions exist:
(1) Training is not available through an established school, on-job training establishment, rehabilitation facility or sheltered workshop within a reasonable commuting distance from the veteran's home; or
(2) The veteran's condition or other circumstances do not permit the veteran to attend an otherwise suitable facility within commuting distance. See § 21.126.
(c) Training in the home. Training in the home is a specialized type of independent instructor course which the veteran pursues in his or her home if:
(1) He or she is unable to pursue training at an otherwise suitable facility because of the effects of his or her disability;
(2) Based on proper medical opinion, the veteran is able to pursue the prescribed training; and
(3) The veteran's home provides a favorable educational environment with adequate work and study space.
(d) Planning an individual instructor course. The case manager, the veteran, and the instructor should jointly plan the training program for a veteran for whom an independent instructor course is prescribed.
(e) Assuring employment. Since the customary channels leading to employment may not be readily available to a veteran requiring an individual instructor course, the IEAP (Individual Employment Assistance Plan) shall indicate thorough consideration of plans and prospects for seeking and obtaining employment, including self-employment, upon completion of training.
(f) Rate of pursuit. A veteran in an independent instructor program shall pursue training at a rate comparable to the rate at which similar training is pursued on an institutional basis, unless the veteran's work tolerance is reduced by the effects of his or her disability.