38 CFR 21.154 - Special transportation assistance.
(a)General. A veteran, who because of the effects of disability has transportation expenses in addition to those incurred by persons not so disabled, shall be provided a transportation allowance to defray such additional expenses. The assistance provided in this section is in addition to provisions for interregional and intraregional travel which may be authorized under provisions of §§ 21.370 through 21.376.
(b)Periods during which special transportation allowance may be provided. A special transportation allowance may be provided during:
(1) Extended evaluation;
(2) Rehabilitation to the point of employability;
(3) Independent living services; or
(4) Employment services, including the first three months of employment.
(c)Scope of transportation assistance.
(1) Transportation assistance includes mileage, parking fees, reasonable fee for a driver, transportation furnished by a rehabilitation facility or sheltered workshop, and other reasonable expenses which may be incurred in local travel;
(2) The veteran's monthly transportation allowance may not exceed the lesser of actual expenses incurred or one-half of the subsistence allowance of a single veteran in full-time institutional training, unless extraordinary arrangements, such as transportation by ambulance, are necessary to enable a veteran to pursue a rehabilitation program.
(d)Determining the need for a transportation allowance. The case manager will determine the need for a transportation allowance. The assistance of a medical consultant shall be utilized, as necessary, to determine the need for special transportation assistance and to develop transportation arrangements which do not unduly tax the veteran's ability to travel and pursue a rehabilitation program.
(e)Use of a relative precluded. A relative of the veteran may not be paid any part of a special transportation allowance. The termrelative has the same meaning as under § 21.374 pertaining to the use of a relative as an attendant.
Title 38 published on 2015-12-03
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 38 CFR Part 21 after this date.