38 CFR 21.162 - Participation in a program of independent living services.
(a) Approval of a program of independent living services. A program of independent living services and assistance is approved when:
(1) The VA determines that achievement of a vocational goal is not currently reasonably feasible;
(2) The VA determines that the veteran's independence in daily living can be improved, and the gains made can reasonably be expected to continue following completion of the program;
(4) The VR&E Officer concurs in the IILP.
(b) Considerations for the VR&E Officer. The VR&E Officer will consider the following factors in administering programs providing independent living services:
(1) If VA resources available limit the number of veterans who may be provided a program of independent living services and assistance, the first priority shall be given to veterans for whom the reasonable feasibility of achieving a vocational goal is precluded solely as a result of service-connected disability; and
(2) To the maximum extent feasible, a substantial portion of veterans provided with programs of independent living services and assistance shall be receiving long-term care in VA medical centers and nursing homes.