38 CFR § 21.346 - Facility temporarily not offering training or rehabilitation services.
(a) Approval of leave of absence not required. A veteran may receive subsistence allowance, during a period when the facility temporarily is not offering services, without the veteran's being charged with leave when:
(1) The facility is closed temporarily under an executive order of the President or due to an emergency situation;
(3) The veteran is pursuing farm cooperative training and is required in the ordinary day to day conduct of farm business to be absent:
(i) From the farm; or
(ii) From that part of a farm cooperative course which is given at the educational institution.
(i) There is an interval between consecutive semesters, terms, quarters or periods of instruction within a certified enrollment period which does not exceed a full calendar month;
(ii) There is an interval, which does not exceed a full calendar month between semesters, terms or quarters when the educational institution only certifies enrollment on a semester, term, or quarter basis; or
(iii) There is an interval, which does not exceed 30 days, when the veteran, as part of his or her approved program of vocational rehabilitation, transfers from one educational institution to another for the purpose of enrolling in and pursuing a similar program at the second institution;
(5) The veteran is pursuing a non-college-degree course and there is a period of up to 5 days per twelve-month period during which the school offering non-college-degree courses is not operating, because instructors are attending professional meetings.
(b) Case manager responsibility. The case manager may disapprove leave under paragraph (a)(4) of this section if:
(1) Approval would result in or lead to use of more than 48 months of entitlement under Chapter 31, alone; or
(2) Approval would require extension of the scheduled completion date of the veteran's program.
(c) Approval of leaves of absence required. A veteran, who wishes to receive subsistence allowance while the facility temporarily is not offering training under conditions other than those identified in paragraph (a) of this section, must seek an approved leave of absence and be charged leave.