38 CFR 61.1 - Definitions.
For purposes of this part:
Area or community means a political subdivision or contiguous political subdivisions (such as a precinct, ward, borough, city, county, State, Congressional district, etc.) with a separately identifiable population of homeless veterans.
Capital grant means a grant for construction, renovation, or acquisition of a facility, or a grant for acquisition of a van.
Capital lease is defined by § 61.4.
Chronically mentally ill means a condition of schizophrenia or major affective disorder (including bipolar disorder) or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), based on a diagnosis from a licensed mental health professional, with at least one documented hospitalization for this condition sometime in the last 2 years or with documentation of a formal assessment on a standardized scale of any serious symptomatology or serious impairment in the areas of work, family relations, thinking, or mood.
Default means a determination by VA that an awardee has materially failed to comply with the terms and conditions of an award.
Fixed site means a physical structure that under normal conditions is not capable of readily being moved from one location to another location.
Frail elderly means 65 years of age or older with one or more chronic health problems and limitations in performing one or more activities of daily living (such as bathing, toileting, transferring from bed to chair, etc.).
New construction means building a structure where none existed, or building an addition to an existing structure that increases the floor area by more than 100 percent.
Nonprofit organization means a private organization, no part of the net earnings of which may inure to the benefit of any member, founder, contributor, or individual. The organization must be recognized as a section 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(19) nonprofit organization by the United States Internal Revenue Service, and meet all of the following criteria:
(1) Have a voluntary board;
(2) Have a functioning accounting system that is operated in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, or designate an entity to maintain such a functioning accounting system; and
(3) Practice nondiscrimination in the provision of supportive housing and supportive services assistance.
Notice of Fund Availability (NOFA) means a notice published in the Federal Register in accordance with § 61.60.
Operating costs means expenses incurred in operating supportive housing, supportive services or service centers with respect to:
(1) Administration (including staff salaries; costs associated with accounting for the use of grant funds, preparing reports for submission to VA, obtaining program audits, and securing accreditation; and similar costs related to administering the grant after the award), maintenance, repair and security for the supportive housing;
(2) Van costs or building rent (except under capital leases), e.g., fuel, insurance, utilities, furnishings, and equipment;
(3) Conducting on-going assessments of supportive services provided for and needed by participants and the availability of such services; and
(4) Other costs associated with operating the supportive housing.
Operational means a program for which all VA inspection requirements under this part have been met and an activation document has been issued by the VA National GPD Program.
Outpatient health services means outpatient health care, outpatient mental health services, outpatient alcohol and/or substance abuse services, and case management.
Participant means a person receiving services based on a grant or per diem provided under this part.
Participant agreement means any written or implied agreement between a grant recipient agency and a program participant that outlines the requirements for program compliance, participant or service delivery.
Project means all activities that define the parameters of the purpose of the grant.
Public entity means any of the following:
(1) A county, municipality, city, town, township, local public authority (including any public and Indian housing agency under the United States Housing Act of 1937), school district, special district, intrastate district, council of governments (whether or not incorporated as a nonprofit corporation under state law), any other regional or interstate government entity, or any agency or instrumentality of a local government; or
(2) The governing body or a governmental agency of any Indian tribe, band, nation, or other organized group or community (including any Native village as defined in section 3 of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, 85 Stat 688) certified by the Secretary of the Interior as eligible for the special programs and services provided by the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
Recipient means the entity whose employer or taxpayer identification number is on the Application for Federal Assistance (SF 424) and is consequently responsible to comply with all terms and conditions of the award. For the purpose of this part the terms “grantee,” “recipient,” and “awardee” are synonymous and interchangeable.
Rehabilitation means the improvement or repair of an existing structure. Rehabilitation does not include minor or routine repairs.
State means any of the several states of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, any territory or possession of the United States, or any agency or instrumentality of a state exclusive of local governments. The term does not include any public and Indian housing agency under United States Housing Act of 1937.
(1) Is not shelter care, other emergent housing, or housing designed to be permanent or long term (more than 24 months), with no requirement to move; and
(2) Is designed to either:
(ii) Provide specific medical treatment such as detoxification, respite, or hospice treatments that are used as step-up or step-down programs within that specific project's continuum.
Supportive services has the meaning assigned to it under § 61.2.
Terminally ill means a prognosis of 9 months or less to live, based on a written medical diagnosis from a physician.
VA means the Department of Veterans Affairs.
VA National GPD Program refers to the VA Homeless Providers Grant and Per Diem Program.
Veteran means a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released there from under conditions other than dishonorable.