40 CFR 141.700 - General requirements.
(a) The requirements of this subpart W are national primary drinking water regulations. The regulations in this subpart establish or extend treatment technique requirements in lieu of maximum contaminant levels for Cryptosporidium. These requirements are in addition to requirements for filtration and disinfection in subparts H, P, and T of this part.
(b)Applicability. The requirements of this subpart apply to all subpart H systems, which are public water systems supplied by a surface water source and public water systems supplied by a ground water source under the direct influence of surface water.
(2) The requirements of this subpart for filtered systems apply to systems required by National Primary Drinking Water Regulations to provide filtration treatment, whether or not the system is currently operating a filtration system.
(3) The requirements of this subpart for unfiltered systems apply only to unfiltered systems that timely met and continue to meet the filtration avoidance criteria in subparts H, P, and T of this part, as applicable.
(c)Requirements. Systems subject to this subpart must comply with the following requirements:
(1) Systems must conduct an initial and a second round of source water monitoring for each plant that treats a surface water or GWUDI source. This monitoring may include sampling for Cryptosporidium, E. coli, and turbidity as described in §§ 141.701 through 141.706, to determine what level, if any, of additional Cryptosporidium treatment they must provide.
(3) Filtered systems must determine their Cryptosporidium treatment bin classification as described in § 141.710 and provide additional treatment for Cryptosporidium, if required, as described in § 141.711. All unfiltered systems must provide treatment for Cryptosporidium as described in § 141.712. Filtered and unfiltered systems must implement Cryptosporidium treatment according to the schedule in § 141.713.
(6) Systems must comply with the applicable recordkeeping and reporting requirements described in §§ 141.721 through 141.722.