40 CFR 225.2 - Review of Dredged Material Permits.
(a) The District Engineer shall send a copy of the public notice to the appropriate Regional Administrator, and set forth in writing all of the following information:
(1) The location of the proposed disposal site and its physical boundaries;
(3) If the proposed disposal site has not been designated by the Administrator, a statement of the basis for the proposed determination why no previously designated site is feasible and a description of the characteristics of the proposed disposal site necessary for its designation pursuant to part 228 of this subchapter H;
(4) The known historical uses of the proposed disposal site;
(5) Existence and documented effects of other authorized dumpings that have been made in the dumping area (e.g., heavy metal background reading and organic carbon content);
(6) An estimate of the length of time during which disposal will continue at the proposed site;
(7) Characteristics and composition of the dredged material; and
(8) A statement concerning a preliminary determination of the need for and/or availability of an environmental impact statement.
(b) The Regional Administrator will within 15 days of the date the public notice and other information required to be submitted by paragraph (a) of § 225.2 are received by him, review the information submitted and request from the District Engineer any additional information he deems necessary or appropriate to evaluate the proposed dumping.
(c) Using the information submitted by the District Engineer, and any other information available to him, the Regional Administrator will within 15 days after receipt of all requested information, make an independent evaluation of the proposed dumping in accordance with the criteria and respond to the District Engineer pursuant to paragraph (d) or (e) of this section. The Regional Administrator may request an extension of this 15 day period to 30 days from the District Engineer.
(e) When the Regional Administrator determines that the proposed dumping will not comply with the criteria he shall so inform the District Engineer in writing. In such cases, no Dredged Material Permit for such dumping shall be issued unless and until the provisions of § 225.3 are followed and the Administrator grants a waiver of the criteria pursuant to § 225.4.