40 CFR 258.61 - Post-closure care requirements.
(a) Following closure of each MSWLF unit, the owner or operator must conduct post-closure care. Post-closure care must be conducted for 30 years, except as provided under paragraph (b) of this section, and consist of at least the following:
(1) Maintaining the integrity and effectiveness of any final cover, including making repairs to the cover as necessary to correct the effects of settlement, subsidence, erosion, or other events, and preventing run-on and run-off from eroding or otherwise damaging the final cover;
(2) Maintaining and operating the leachate collection system in accordance with the requirements in § 258.40, if applicable. The Director of an approved State may allow the owner or operator to stop managing leachate if the owner or operator demonstrates that leachate no longer poses a threat to human health and the environment;
(3) Monitoring the ground water in accordance with the requirements of subpart E of this part and maintaining the ground-water monitoring system, if applicable; and
(4) Maintaining and operating the gas monitoring system in accordance with the requirements of § 258.23.
(1) Decreased by the Director of an approved State if the owner or operator demonstrates that the reduced period is sufficient to protect human health and the environment and this demonstration is approved by the Director of an approved State; or
(2) Increased by the Director of an approved State if the Director of an approved State determines that the lengthened period is necessary to protect human health and the environment.
(c) The owner or operator of all MSWLF units must prepare a written post-closure plan that includes, at a minimum, the following information:
(1) A description of the monitoring and maintenance activities required in § 258.61(a) for each MSWLF unit, and the frequency at which these activities will be performed;
(2) Name, address, and telephone number of the person or office to contact about the facility during the post-closure period; and
(3) A description of the planned uses of the property during the post-closure period. Post-closure use of the property shall not disturb the integrity of the final cover, liner(s), or any other components of the containment system, or the function of the monitoring systems unless necessary to comply with the requirements in this part 258. The Director of an approved State may approve any other disturbance if the owner or operator demonstrates that disturbance of the final cover, liner or other component of the containment system, including any removal of waste, will not increase the potential threat to human health or the environment.
(d) The owner or operator must notify the State Director that a post-closure plan has been prepared and placed in the operating record no later than the effective date of this part, October 9, 1993, or by the initial receipt of waste, whichever is later.
(e) Following completion of the post-closure care period for each MSWLF unit, the owner or operator must notify the State Director that a certification, signed by an independent registered professional engineer or approved by the Director of an approved State, verifying that post-closure care has been completed in accordance with the post-closure plan, has been placed in the operating record.
[56 FR 51016, Oct. 9, 1991; 57 FR 28628, June 26, 1992]
Title 40 published on 2014-07-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 40 CFR Part 258.