Beta! The text on the eCFR tab represents the unofficial eCFR text at ecfr.gov.
§ 265.229 Special requirements for ignitable or reactive waste.
Ignitable or reactive waste must not be placed in a surface impoundment, unless the waste and impoundment satisfy all applicable requirements of 40 CFR part 268, and:
(a) The waste is treated, rendered, or mixed before or immediately after placement in the impoundment so that:
(1) The resulting waste, mixture, or dissolution of material no longer meets the definition of ignitable or reactive waste under § 261.21 or § 261.23 of this chapter; and
(2) Section 265.17(b) is complied with; or
(1) The waste is managed in such a way that it is protected from any material or conditions which may cause it to ignite or react; and
(2) The owner or operator obtains a certification from a qualified chemist or engineer that, to the best of his knowledge and opinion, the design features or operating plans of the facility will prevent ignition or reaction; and
(3) The certification and the basis for it are maintained at the facility; or
(c) The surface impoundment is used solely for emergencies.