40 CFR § 280.64 - Free product removal.
At sites where investigations under § 280.62(a)(6) indicate the presence of free product, owners and operators must remove free product to the maximum extent practicable as determined by the implementing agency while continuing, as necessary, any actions initiated under §§ 280.61 through 280.63, or preparing for actions required under §§ 280.65 through 280.66. In meeting the requirements of this section, owners and operators must:
(a) Conduct free product removal in a manner that minimizes the spread of contamination into previously uncontaminated zones by using recovery and disposal techniques appropriate to the hydrogeologic conditions at the site, and that properly treats, discharges or disposes of recovery byproducts in compliance with applicable local, state, and federal regulations;
(c) Handle any flammable products in a safe and competent manner to prevent fires or explosions; and
(d) Unless directed to do otherwise by the implementing agency, prepare and submit to the implementing agency, within 45 days after confirming a release, a free product removal report that provides at least the following information:
(1) The name of the person(s) responsible for implementing the free product removal measures;
(2) The estimated quantity, type, and thickness of free product observed or measured in wells, boreholes, and excavations;
(3) The type of free product recovery system used;
(5) The type of treatment applied to, and the effluent quality expected from, any discharge;
(6) The steps that have been or are being taken to obtain necessary permits for any discharge; and
(7) The disposition of the recovered free product.