40 CFR 65.148 - Incinerators.
(a)Incinerator equipment and operating requirements.
(1) Owners or operators using incinerators to meet the 98 weight-percent emission reduction or 20 parts per million by volume outlet concentration requirement as specified in § 65.63(a)(2), or 40 CFR 60.562-1(a)(1)(i)(A) for process vents, or § 65.83(a)(1) for high-throughput transfer racks, as applicable, shall meet the requirements of this section.
(2) Incinerators used to comply with the provisions of this subpart shall be operated at all times when emissions are vented to them.
(b)Incinerator performance test requirements.
(1) Unless an initial performance test was previously conducted and submitted under the referencing subpart and except as specified in § 65.157(b) and paragraph (b)(2) of this section, the owner or operator shall conduct an initial performance test of any incinerator used to comply with the provisions of this subpart according to the procedures in §§ 65.157 and 65.158. Performance test records shall be kept as specified in § 65.160(a) and (b), and a performance test report shall be submitted as specified in § 65.164. As provided in § 65.145(b)(1), a performance test may be used as an alternative to the design evaluation for storage vessels and low-throughput transfer rack controls. As provided in § 65.146(b), no performance test is required for equipment leaks.
(2) An owner or operator is not required to conduct a performance test for a hazardous waste incinerator for which the owner or operator has been issued a final permit under 40 CFR part 270 and complies with the requirements of 40 CFR part 264, subpart O, or has certified compliance with the interim status requirements of 40 CFR part 265, subpart O. The owner or operator shall report as specified in § 65.165(f).
(3) Unless already permitted by the applicable title V permit, if an owner or operator elects to use an incinerator to replace an existing control device at a later date, the owner or operator shall notify the Administrator, either by amendment of the regulated source's title V permit or, if title V is not applicable, by submission of the notice specified in § 65.167(a) before implementing the change. Upon implementing the change, an incinerator performance test shall be performed using the methods specified in § 65.157 and within 180 days if required by paragraph (b)(1) of this section. The performance test report shall be submitted to the Administrator within 60 days of completing the determination as provided in § 65.164(b)(2). If an owner or operator elects to use an incinerator to replace an existing recovery device that is used on a Group 2A process vent, the owner or operator shall comply with the applicable provisions of §§ 65.63(e) and 65.67(b) and submit the notification specified in § 65.167(a).
(c)Incinerator monitoring requirements.
(1) Where an incinerator is used, a temperature monitoring device capable of providing a continuous record that meets the provisions specified in paragraph (c)(1)(i) or (ii) of this section is required. Monitoring results shall be recorded as specified in § 65.161. General requirements for monitoring and continuous parameter monitoring systems are contained in § 65.156.
(i) Where an incinerator other than a catalytic incinerator is used, a temperature monitoring device shall be installed in the fire box or in the ductwork immediately downstream of the fire box in a position before any substantial heat exchange occurs.
(ii) Where a catalytic incinerator is used, temperature monitoring devices shall be installed in the gas stream immediately before and after the catalyst bed.
(2) The owner or operator shall establish a range for monitored parameters that indicates proper operation of the incinerator. In order to establish the range, the information required in § 65.165(c) shall be submitted in the Initial Compliance Status Report or the operating permit application or amendment. The range may be based upon a prior performance test meeting the specifications of § 65.157(b)(1) or upon existing ranges or limits established under a referencing subpart.
- 40 CFR 65.145 — Nonflare Control Devices Used to Control Emissions From Storage Vessels or Low-Throughput Transfer Racks.
- 40 CFR 65.160 — Performance Test and TRE Index Value Determination Records.
- 40 CFR 65.164 — Performance Test and Flare Compliance Determination Notifications and Reports.
- 40 CFR 65.167 — Other Reports.
- 40 CFR 65.165 — Initial Compliance Status Reports.
- 40 CFR 65.142 — Standards.
- 40 CFR 65.5 — Reporting Requirements.
- 40 CFR 65.162 — Nonflare Control and Recovery Device Monitoring Records.