40 CFR 65.149 - Boilers and process heaters.
(a)Boiler and process heater equipment and operating requirements.
(1) Owners or operators using boilers and process heaters to meet the 98 weight-percent emission reduction or 20 parts per million by volume outlet concentration requirement as specified in § 65.63(a)(2), or 40 CFR 60.562-1(a)(1)(i)(B) for process vents, or § 65.83(a)(1) for high-throughput transfer racks, as applicable, shall meet the requirements of this section.
(b)Boiler and process heater performance test requirements.
(1) Unless an initial performance test was previously conducted and submitted under the referencing subpart, and except as specified in § 65.157(b) and paragraph (b)(2) of this section, the owner or operator shall conduct an initial performance test of any boiler or process heater used to comply with the provisions of this subpart according to the procedures in §§ 65.157 and 65.158. Performance test records shall be kept as specified in § 65.160(a) and (b), and a performance test report shall be submitted as specified in § 65.164. As provided in § 65.145(b)(1), a performance test may be used as an alternative to the design evaluation for storage vessels and low-throughput transfer rack controls. As provided in § 65.146(b), no performance test is required to demonstrate compliance for equipment leaks.
(2) An owner or operator is not required to conduct a performance test when any of the control devices specified in paragraphs (b)(2)(i) through (iii) of this section are used. The owner or operator shall report as specified in § 65.165(f).
(3) Unless already permitted by the applicable title V permit, if an owner or operator elects to use a boiler or process heater to replace an existing control device at a later date, the owner or operator shall notify the Administrator, either by amendment of the regulated source's title V permit or, if title V is not applicable, by submission of the notice specified in § 65.167(a) before implementing the change. Upon implementing the change, a boiler or process heater performance test shall be performed using the methods specified in §§ 65.157 and 65.158 within 180 days if required by paragraph (b)(1) of this section. The performance test report shall be submitted to the Administrator within 60 days of completing the determination as provided in § 65.164(b)(2). If an owner or operator elects to use a boiler or process heater to replace an existing recovery device that is used on a Group 2A process vent, the owner or operator shall comply with the applicable provisions of §§ 65.63(e) and 65.67(b) and submit the notification specified in § 65.167(a).
(c)Boiler and process heater monitoring requirements.
(1) Where a boiler or process heater of less than 44 megawatts (150 million British thermal units per hour) design heat input capacity is used and the regulated vent stream is not introduced as or with the primary fuel, a temperature monitoring device in the fire box capable of providing a continuous record is required. Any boiler or process heater in which all vent streams are introduced with primary fuel or are used as the primary fuel is exempt from monitoring. Monitoring results shall be recorded as specified in § 65.161. General requirements for monitoring and continuous parameter monitoring systems are contained in § 65.156.
(2) Where monitoring is required, the owner or operator shall establish a range for monitored parameters that indicates proper operation of the boiler or process heater. In order to establish the range, the information required in § 65.165(c) shall be submitted in the Initial Compliance Status Report or the operating permit application or amendment. The range may be based upon a prior performance test meeting the specifications of § 65.157(b)(1) or upon existing ranges or limits established under a referencing subpart.
Title 40 published on 09-Jun-2018 05:24
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 40 CFR Part 65 after this date.
- 40 CFR 65.145 — Nonflare Control Devices Used to Control Emissions From Storage Vessels or Low-Throughput Transfer Racks.
- 40 CFR 65.160 — Performance Test and TRE Index Value Determination Records.
- 40 CFR 65.164 — Performance Test and Flare Compliance Determination Notifications and Reports.
- 40 CFR 65.167 — Other Reports.
- 40 CFR 65.165 — Initial Compliance Status Reports.
- 40 CFR 65.162 — Nonflare Control and Recovery Device Monitoring Records.