40 CFR 86.441-78 - Right of entry.
(a) Any manufacturer who has applied for certification of a new motorcycle subject to certification tests under this subpart shall admit or cause to be admitted any EPA Enforcement Officer during operating hours on presentation of any credentials to any of the following:
(1) Any facility where any such tests or any procedures or activities connected with such tests are or were performed.
(4) Any facility where any record or other document relating to any of the above is located.
(1) To inspect and monitor any part or aspect of such procedures, activities, and testing facilities, including, but not limited to, monitoring vehicle preconditioning, emissions tests and service accumulation, maintenance, and vehicle soak and storage procedures; and to verify correlation or calibration of test equipment;
(2) To inspect and make copies of any such records, designs, or other documents; and
(c) In order to allow the Administrator to determine whether or not production motorcycles conform in all material respects to the design specifications which applied to those vehicles described in the application for certification for which a certificate of conformity has been issued and to standards prescribed under section 202 of the Act, any manufacturer shall admit any EPA Enforcement Officer on presentation of credentials to both:
(1) Any facility where any document design, or procedure relating to the translation of the design and construction of engines and emission related components described in the application for certification or used for certification testing into production vehicles is located or carried on; and
(1) To inspect and monitor any aspects of such manufacture or assembly and other procedures;
(2) To inspect and make copies of any such records, documents or designs; and
(e) Any EPA Enforcement Officer shall be furnished by those in charge of a facility being inspected with such reasonable assistance as he may request to help him discharge any function listed in this paragraph. Each applicant for or recipient of certification is required to cause those in charge of a facility operated for its benefit to furnish such reasonable assistance without charge to EPA whether or not the applicant controls the facility.
(f) The duty to admit or cause to be admitted any EPA Enforcement Officer applies whether or not the applicant owns or controls the facility in question and applies both to domestic and to foreign manufacturers and facilities. EPA will not attempt to make any inspections which it has been informed that local law forbids. However, if local law makes it impossible to do what is necessary to insure the accuracy of data generated at a facility, no informed judgment that a vehicle or engine is certifiable or is covered by a certificate can properly be based on that data. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to locate its testing and manufacturing facilities in jurisdictions where this situation will not arise.
(g) For purposes of this section:
(2) Where vehicle, component, or engine storage areas or facilities are concerned, operating hours shall mean all times during which personnel other than custodial personnel are at work in the vicinity of the area or facility and have access to it.
(3) Where facilities or areas other than those covered by paragraph (g)(2) of this section are concerned, operating hours shall mean all times during which an assembly line is in operation or all times during which testing, maintenance, service accumulation, production or compilation of records, or any other procedure or activity related to certification testing, to translation of designs from the test stage to the production stage, or to vehicle manufacture or assembly is being carried out in a facility.
(4)Reasonable assistance includes, but is not limited to, clerical, copying, interpretation and translation services, the making available on request of personnel of the facility being inspected during their working hours to inform the EPA Enforcement Officer of how the facility operates and to answer his questions, and the performance on request of emissions tests on any vehicle which is being, has been, or will be used for certification testing. Such tests shall be nondestructive, but may require appropriate service accumulation. A manufacturer may be compelled to cause the personal appearance of any employee at such a facility before an EPA Enforcement Officer by written request for his appearance, signed by the Assistant Administrator for Enforcement, served on the manufacturer. Any such employee who has been instructed by the manufacturer to appear will be entitled to be accompanied, represented, and advised by counsel. No counsel who accompanies, represents, or advises an employee compelled to appear may accompany, represent, or advise any other person in the investigation.