41 CFR § 300-3.1 - What do the following terms mean?

prev next
§ 300-3.1 What do the following terms mean?

Accompanied baggage - Government property and personal property of the traveler necessary for official travel.

Actual expense - Payment of authorized actual expenses incurred, up to the limit prescribed by the Administrator of GSA or agency, as appropriate. Entitlement to reimbursement is contingent upon entitlement to per diem, and is subject to the same definitions and rules governing per diem.

Agency - For purposes of chapter 302 agency means:

(1) An executive agency as defined in Title 5 U.S.C. 105 (an executive department, an independent establishment, the Government Accountability Office, or a wholly owned Government corporation as defined in section 101 of the Government Corporation Control Act, as amended (31 U.S.C. 9101), but excluding a Government controlled corporation);

(2) A military department;

(3) A court of the United States;

(4) The Administrative Office of the United States Courts;

(5) The Federal Judicial Center;

(6) The Library of Congress;

(7) The United States Botanic Garden;

(8) The Government Printing Office; and

(9) The District of Columbia.

Aircraft management office - An agency component that has management control of Federal aircraft used by the agency or of aircraft hired as commercial aviation services (CAS).

Amended value sale - Type of home sale transaction that occurs when the relocating employee receives a bona fide offer from a qualified buyer before the employee has accepted an appraised value offer from the relocation services company (RSC). The RSC amends its offer to match the outside sale price. An amended value sale is different from an amended from zero sale because an amended value sale occurs after an appraised value offer while an amended from zero sale occurs before an appraised value offer.

Appraised value sale - Type of home sale transaction that occurs when the relocating employee accepts the offer from the RSC to buy the employee's home based upon the average of a specific number of appraisals conducted by designated certified appraisers.

Approved accommodation - Any place of public lodging that is listed on the national master list of approved accommodations. The national master list of all approved accommodations is compiled, periodically updated, and published in the Federal Register by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Additionally, the approved accommodation list is available on the U.S. Fire Administration's internet site at https://apps.usfa.fema.gov/hotel/.

Automated-Teller-Machine (ATM) services - Government contractor-provided ATM services that allow cash withdrawals from participating ATMs to be charged to a Government contractor-issued charge card.

Buyer value option (BVO) - Type of home sale program with procedures the same as the amended value program, except that the RSC does not initially appraise the employee's home or make a guaranteed buy-out offer. The buy-out offer from the contractor is based on a bona fide offer received by the employee from a qualified buyer after marketing by the employee. Once a bona fide offer is received by the employee, the contractor offers to buy the home from the employee at a price based on the outside sale price.

Commercial Aviation Services (CAS) - Commercial aviation services (CAS) include, for the exclusive use of an executive agency -

(1) Leased aircraft;

(2) Chartered or rented aircraft;

(3) Commercial contracts for full aviation services (i.e., aircraft plus related aviation services) or acquisition of full services through inter-service support agreements (ISSA) with other agencies; or

(4) Related services (i.e., services but not aircraft) obtained by commercial contract or ISSA, except those services acquired to support Federal aircraft.

Common carrier - Private-sector supplier of air, rail or bus transportation.

Commuted rate - A price rate used to calculate a set amount to be paid to an employee for the transportation and temporary storage of his/her household goods. It includes cost of line-haul transportation, packing/unpacking, crating/uncrating, drayage incident to transportation and other accessorial charges and costs of temporary storage within applicable weight limit for storage including handling in/out charges and necessary drayage.

Conference - A meeting, retreat, seminar, symposium or event that involves attendee travel. The term “conference” also applies to training activities that are considered to be conferences under 5 CFR 410.404.

Continental United States (CONUS) - The 48 contiguous States and the District of Columbia.

Contract carriers - U.S. certificated air carriers which are under contract with the government to furnish Federal employees and other persons authorized to travel at Government expense with passenger transportation service. This also includes GSA's scheduled airline passenger service between selected U.S. cities/airports and between selected U.S. and international cities/airports at reduced fares.

Crewmember - A person assigned to operate or assist in operating an aircraft. Performs duties directly related to the operation of the aircraft (e.g., as pilots, co-pilots, flight engineers, navigators) or duties assisting in operation of the aircraft (e.g., as flight directors, crew chiefs, electronics technicians, mechanics). If a crewmember is onboard for the purpose of travel, (i.e., being transported from point to point) he/she must be authorized to travel in accordance with rules in 41 CFR 301-10.260 through 301-10.266 and 41 CFR 301-70.800 through 301-70.903.

Dependent - An immediate family member of the employee.

Domestic partner - An adult in a domestic partnership with an employee of the same-sex.

Domestic partnership - A committed relationship between two adults of the same sex, in which they -

(1) Are each other's sole domestic partner and intend to remain so indefinitely;

(2) Maintain a common residence, and intend to continue to do so (or would maintain a common residence but for an assignment abroad or other employment-related, financial, or similar obstacle);

(3) Are at least 18 years of age and mentally competent to consent to contract;

(4) Share responsibility for a significant measure of each other's financial obligations;

(5) Are not married or joined in a civil union to anyone else;

(6) Are not a domestic partner of anyone else;

(7) Are not related in a way that, if they were of opposite sex, would prohibit legal marriage in the U.S. jurisdiction in which the domestic partnership was formed;

(8) Are willing to certify, if required by the agency, that they understand that willful falsification of any documentation required to establish that an individual is in a domestic partnership may lead to disciplinary action and the recovery of the cost of benefits received related to such falsification, as well as constitute a criminal violation under 18 U.S.C. 1001, and that the method for securing such certification, if required, shall be determined by the agency;

(9) Are willing promptly to disclose, if required by the agency, any dissolution or material change in the status of the domestic partnership; and

(10) Certify that they would marry but for the failure of their state or other jurisdiction (or foreign country) of residence to permit same-sex marriage.

Note to definition of “Domestic partnership”:

The definition of “Domestic partnership” requires that the partners “share responsibility for a significant measure of each other's financial obligations.” This criterion requires only that there be financial interdependence between the partners and should not be interpreted to exclude partnerships in which one partner stays at home while the other is the primary breadwinner.

E-Gov Travel Service (ETS) - The Government-contracted, end-to-end travel management service that automates and consolidates the Federal travel process in a self-service Web-centric environment, covering all aspects of official travel, including travel planning, authorization, reservations, ticketing, expense reimbursement, and travel management reporting. The eTS provides the services of a Federal travel management program as specified in § 301-73.1(a), (b), and (e) of this title.

Employee with a disability (also see Special Needs) -

(a) An employee who has a disability as defined in paragraph (b) of this definition and is otherwise generally covered under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended (29 U.S.C. 701-797b).

(b) “Disability,” with respect to an employee, means:

(1) Having a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities;

(2) Having a record of such an impairment;

(3) Being regarded as having such an impairment; but

(4) Does not include an individual who is currently engaging in the illegal use of drugs, when the covered entity acts on the basis of such use.

(c) “Physical or mental impairment” means:

(1) Any physiological disorder or condition, cosmetic disfigurement, or anatomical loss affecting one or more of the following body systems: neurological, musculoskeletal, special sense organ, respiratory (including speech organs), cardiovascular, reproductive, digestive, genitourinary, hemic and lymphatic, skin, and endocrine; or

(2) Any mental or psychological disorder (e.g., mental retardation, organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness and specific learning disabilities).

(3) The term “physical or mental impairment” includes, but is not limited to, such diseases and conditions as cerebral palsy, epilepsy, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, mental retardation, emotional illness, and orthopedic, visual, speech and hearing impairments.

(d) “Major life activities” means functions such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning and working.

(e) “Has a record of such an impairment” means the employee has a history of, or has been classified as having, a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.

(f) “Is regarded as having such an impairment” means the employee has:

(1) A physical or mental impairment that does not substantially limit major life activities but the impairment is treated by the agency as constituting such a limitation;

(2) A physical or mental impairment that substantially limits major life activities as a result of the attitudes of others toward such an impairment; or

(3) None of the impairments defined under “physical or mental impairment”, but is treated by the employing agency as having a substantially limiting impairment.

Executive agency - An entity of the executive branch that is an “executive agency” as defined in section 105 of title 5 U.S.C.

Extended storage - Storage of household goods while an employee is assigned to an official station or post of duty to which he/she is not authorized to take or unable to use the household goods or is authorized in the public interest. Also referred to as nontemporary storage.

Family (see Immediate family)

Federal traveler - For the purposes of 41 CFR 301-10.260-266 and 301-70.800-910, a person who travels on a Government aircraft and who is either -

(1) A civilian employee in the Government service;

(2) A member of the uniformed or foreign services of the United States Government; or

(3) A contractor working under a contract with an executive agency.

Foreign air carrier - An air carrier who is not holding a certificate issued by the United States under 49 U.S.C. 41102.

Fuel - The energy source needed to power a vehicle. Examples include, but are not limited to, petroleum, hydrogen, propane, and electricity.

Full coach fare - The price of a coach fare available to the general public on a scheduled air carrier between the day that the travel was planned and the day the travel occurred.

Furnished meal - A meal provided to an employee, either directly from the Government or as a result of the Government paying a registration fee or other cost which allows the employee to attend a conference or other event. If the Government has already paid for a meal, the employee must deduct the allocated amount when filing their travel voucher.

Government aircraft - An aircraft that is operated for the exclusive use of an executive agency and is a -

(a) Federal aircraft, which an executive agency owns (i.e., holds title to) or borrows for any length of time under a bailment or equivalent loan agreement. See 41 CFR 102-33.20 for definition of all terms related to Federal aircraft, or

(b) Commercial aircraft hired as commercial aviation services (CAS), which an executive agency -

(1) Leases or lease-purchases with the intent to take title,

(2) Charters or rents, or

(3) Hires as part of a full-service contract or inter-service support agreement (ISSA).

Government contractor-issued individually billed charge card - A Government contractor-issued charge card used by authorized individuals to pay for official travel and transportation related expenses for which the contractor bills the employee.

Government-furnished automobile - An automobile (or “light truck,” as defined in 41 CFR 101-38 including vans and pickup trucks) that is:

(a) Owned by an agency,

(b) Assigned or dispatched to an agency from GSA Fleet, or

(c) Leased by the Government for a period of 120 days or longer from a commercial source.

Government-furnished vehicle - A Government-furnished automobile or a Government aircraft.

Government Transportation Request (GTR) (Standard Form 1169) - A Government document used to procure common carrier transportation services. The document obligates the Government to pay for transportation services provided.

Household Goods (HHG) - Property, unless specifically excluded, associated with the home and all personal effects belonging to an employee and immediate family members on the effective date of the employee's change of official station orders (the day the employee reports for duty at the new official station) that legally may be accepted and transported by a commercial HHG carrier.

(1) HHG also includes:

(i) Professional Books, papers and equipment (PBP&E);

(ii) Spare parts of a POV (see definition of POV) and a pickup truck tailgate when removed;

(iii) Integral or attached vehicle parts that must be removed due to high vulnerability to pilferage or damage, (e.g., seats, tops, wench, spare tire, portable auxiliary gasoline can(s) and miscellaneous associated hardware);

(iv) Consumable goods for employees assigned to locations where the Department of State has determined that such goods are necessary;

(v) Vehicles other than POVs (such as motorcycles, mopeds, jet skies, snowmobiles, golf carts, boats (e.g., boat, sailboat, canoe, skiff, rowboat, dinghies, sculls and kayak, mounted or unmounted on trailers)) of reasonable size.

(vi) Ultralight Vehicles (defined in 14 CFR part 103 as being single occupant, for recreation or sport purposes, weighing less than 155 pounds if unpowered or less than 254 pounds if powered, having a fuel capacity NTE 5 gallons, airspeed NTE 55 knots, and power-off stall speed NTE 24 knots).

(vii) Unaccompanied Air Baggage (UAB) - Unaccompanied air baggage includes personal items and equipment (e.g., pots, pans, light housekeeping items, collapsible items such as cribs, playpens, and baby carriages, and other articles required for the care of the family) that may be shipped by air in accordance with Chapter 302 of this Subtitle. Household items (i.e., refrigerators, washing machines, and other major appliances or furniture) are not eligible as UAB.

(2) HHG does not include:

(i) Personal baggage when carried free on tickets;

(ii) Automobiles, trucks, vans and similar motor vehicles, mobile homes, camper trailers, and farming vehicles;

(iii) Live animals including birds, fish, reptiles;

(iv) Cordwood and building materials;

(v) HHG for resale, disposal or commercial use rather than for use by employee and immediate family members;

(vi) Privately owned live ammunition; and

(vii) Propane gas tanks.

(3) Federal, State and local laws or carrier regulations may prohibit commercial shipment of certain articles not included in paragraph (2) of this definition. These articles frequently include:

(i) Property liable to impregnate or otherwise damage equipment or other property (e.g., hazardous articles including explosives, flammable and corrosive material, poisons);

(ii) Articles that cannot be taken from the premises without damage to the article or premises;

(iii) Perishable articles (including frozen foods) articles requiring refrigeration, or perishable plants unless;

(a) Shipment is to be transported not more than 150 miles and/or delivery accomplished within 24 hours from the time of loading,

(b) No storage is required, and

(c) No preliminary or en route services (e.g., watering or other preservative method) is required of the carrier.

Household Goods-weight additive - A weight, per linear foot of a specific item, added to the net weight of the household goods shipment to compensate for the excessive van space used by the item. The item must be stated in the Household Goods tariff as qualifying for a weight additive before a charge can be assessed. Weight additives do not apply if an article is capable of being conveniently hand-carried by one person and/or transported in a standard moving carton.

Immediate family - Any of the following named members of the employee's household at the time he/she reports for duty at the new permanent duty station or performs other authorized travel involving family members:

(1) Spouse;

(2) Domestic partner;

(3) Children of the employee, of the employee's spouse, or of the employee's domestic partner, who are unmarried and under 21 years of age or who, regardless of age, are physically or mentally incapable of self-support. (The term “children” shall include natural offspring; stepchildren; adopted children; grandchildren, legal minor wards or other dependent children who are under legal guardianship of the employee, of the employee's spouse, or of the domestic partner; and an unborn child(ren) born and moved after the employee's effective date of transfer.);

(4) Dependent parents (including step and legally adoptive parents) of the employee, of the employee's spouse, or of the employee's domestic partner; and

(5) Dependent brothers and sisters (including step and legally adoptive brothers and sisters) of the employee, of the employee's spouse, or of the employee's domestic partner, who are unmarried and under 21 years of age or who, regardless of age, are physically or mentally incapable of self-support.

Innovative mobility technology company - An organization, including a corporation, limited liability company, partnership, sole proprietorship, or any other entity, that applies technology to expand and enhance available transportation choices, better manages demand for transportation services, or provides alternatives to driving alone.

Note to definition of “Innovative mobility technology company”:

Certain jurisdictions may have limits or prohibit the operation or use of innovative mobility technology companies. Federal employees are expected to follow all laws, including those related to innovative mobility technology companies, as well as choose the most cost effective level of service.

Interviewee - An individual who is being considered for employment by an agency. The individual may currently be a Government employee.

Invitational travel - Authorized travel of individuals either not employed or employed (under 5 U.S.C. 5703) intermittently in the Government service as consultants or experts and paid on a daily when-actually-employed basis and for individuals serving without pay or at $1 a year when they are acting in a capacity that is directly related to, or in connection with, official activities of the Government. Travel allowances authorized for such persons are the same as those normally authorized for employees in connection with TDY.

Lodgings-plus per diem system - The method of computing per diem allowances for official travel in which the per diem allowance for each travel day is established on the basis of the actual amount the traveler pays for lodging, plus an allowance for meals and incidental expenses (M&IE), the total of which does not exceed the applicable maximum per diem rate for the location concerned.

Mandatory mobility agreement - Agreement requiring employee relocation to enhance career development and progression and/or achieve mission effectiveness.

Marriage - A legal union between individuals that was entered into in a state or other jurisdiction (or foreign country) whose laws authorize the marriage, even if the married couple is domiciled in a state or other jurisdiction (or foreign country) that does not recognize the validity of the marriage. The term also includes common law marriage in a state or other jurisdiction (or foreign country) where such marriages are recognized, so long as they are proven according to the applicable state, other jurisdiction, or foreign laws. The term marriage does not include registered domestic partnerships, civil unions, or other similar formal relationships recognized under state or other jurisdiction (or foreign country) law that are not denominated as a marriage under that state's or other jurisdiction (or foreign country's) law.

Mobile home - Any type of house trailer or mobile dwelling constructed for use as a residence and designed to be moved overland, either by self-propulsion or towing. Also, a boat (houseboat, yacht, sailboat, etc.) when used as the employee's primary residence.

Non-Federal traveler - For the purposes of 41 CFR 301-10.260 through 301-10.266 and 41 CFR 301-70.800 through 301-70.910, an individual who travels on a Government aircraft, but is not a Federal traveler. Dependents and other family members of Federal travelers who travel on Government aircraft are considered to be non- Federal travelers within this regulation.

Official station - An area defined by the agency that includes the location where the employee regularly performs his or her duties or an invitational traveler's home or regular place of business (see § 301-1.2). The area may be a mileage radius around a particular point, a geographic boundary, or any other definite domain, provided no part of the area is more than 50 miles from where the employee regularly performs his or her duties or from an invitational traveler's home or regular place of business. If the employee's work involves recurring travel or varies on a recurring basis, the location where the work activities of the employee's position of record are based is considered the regular place of work.

Official travel - Travel under an official travel authorization from an employee's official station or other authorized point of departure to a temporary duty location and return from a temporary duty location, between two temporary duty locations, or relocation at the direction of a Federal agency.

Outside the Continental United States (OCONUS) - Any area beyond the 48 contiguous States and the District of Columbia, i.e., CONUS. OCONUS is further divided into foreign areas and non-foreign areas:

(1) Foreign area - Any area situated beyond both the CONUS and the non-foreign areas.

(2) Non-foreign area - The states of Alaska and Hawaii, the Commonwealths of Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the territories and possessions of the United States.

Passenger - In relation to use of Government aircraft, a passenger is any person who flies onboard a Government aircraft, but who is not a crewmember or qualified non-crewmember.

Per diem allowance - The per diem allowance (also referred to as subsistence allowance) is a daily payment instead of reimbursement for actual expenses for lodging (excluding taxes), meals, and related incidental expenses. The per diem allowance is separate from transportation expenses and other miscellaneous expenses. The per diem allowance covers all charges and services, including any service charges where applicable. Lodging taxes in the United States are excluded from the per diem allowance and are reimbursed as a miscellaneous expense. In foreign locations, lodging taxes are part of the per diem allowance and are not a miscellaneous expense. The per diem allowance covers the following:

(a) Lodging. Includes expenses, except lodging taxes in the United States, for overnight sleeping facilities, baths, personal use of the room during daytime, telephone access fee, and service charges for fans, air conditioners, heaters and fires furnished in the room when such charges are not included in the room rate.

(b) Meals. Expenses for breakfast, lunch, dinner and related tips and taxes (specifically excluded are alcoholic beverage and entertainment expenses, and any expenses incurred for other persons).

(c) Incidental expenses. Fees and tips given to porters, baggage carriers, hotel staff, and staff on ships.

Place of public accommodation - Any inn, hotel, or other establishment within a State that provides lodging to transient guests, excluding:

(a) An establishment owned by the Federal Government;

(b) An establishment treated as an apartment building by State or local law or regulation; or

(c) An establishment containing not more than 5 rooms for rent or hire that is also occupied as a residence by the proprietor of that establishment.

Post of duty - An official station outside CONUS.

Privately owned aircraft - An aircraft that is owned or leased by an employee for personal use. It is not owned, leased, chartered, or rented by a Government agency, nor is it rented or leased by an employee for use in carrying out official Government business.

Privately owned automobile - A car or light truck (including vans and pickup trucks) that is owned or leased for personal use by an individual.

Privately Owned Vehicle (POV) - Any vehicle such as an automobile, motorcycle, aircraft, or boat operated by an individual that is not owned or leased by a Government agency, and is not commercially leased or rented by an employee under a Government rental agreement for use in connection with official Government business.

Professional Books, Papers and Equipment (PBP&E) - Includes, but is not limited to, the following items in the employee's possession when needed by the employee in the performance of his/her official duties:

(1) Reference material;

(2) Instruments, tools, and equipment peculiar to technicians, mechanics and members of the professions;

(3) Specialized clothing (e.g., diving suits, flying suits, helmets, band uniforms, religious vestments and other special apparel); and

(4) Communications equipment used by the employee in association with DoDI 4650.02, Military Auxiliary Radio System (MARS).

Qualified non-crewmember - A person flying onboard a Government aircraft whose skills or expertise are required to perform or are associated with performing the non-travel related Governmental function for which the aircraft is being operated (qualified non-crewmembers may be researchers, law enforcement agents, firefighters, agricultural engineers, biologists, etc.). If a qualified non-crewmember is onboard for the purpose of travel (i.e., being transported from point to point) in addition to performing his/her duties related to the non-travel related Governmental function for which the aircraft is being operated (e.g., when a scientist conducts an experiment at the same time he/she is also on the aircraft for the purpose of traveling from point to point), he/she must be authorized to travel in accordance with rules in 41 CFR parts 301-10 and 301-70.

Reduced per diem - Your agency may authorize a reduced per diem rate when there are known reductions in lodging and meal costs or when your subsistence costs can be determined in advance and are lower than the prescribed per diem rate.

Relocation services company (RSC) - A third-party supplier under contract with an agency to assist an eligible individual who relocates. Services may include: Homesale programs, home inspection, home marketing assistance, home finding assistance, property management services, shipment and storage of household goods, voucher review and payment, relocation counseling, and similar items.

Required use travel - Travel by Federal travelers that requires use of a Government aircraft to meet bona fide communications needs (e.g., 24-hour secure communications), security requirements (e.g., highly unusual circumstances that present a clear and present danger), or exceptional scheduling requirements (e.g., a national emergency or other compelling operational considerations) of an executive agency. Required use travel must be approved according to § 301-10.262(a) and § 301-70.803(a) of this title.

Senior Federal official - An individual who is paid according to the Executive Schedule established by 5 U.S.C. 53, Subchapter II, including Presidential appointees who are confirmed by the Senate; employed in the U.S. Government's Senior Executive Service or an equivalent “senior” service; who is a civilian employee of the Executive Office of the President; who is appointed by the President to a position under section 105(a)(2)(A), (B), or (C) of title 3 U.S.C. or by the Vice President to a position under section 106(a)(1)(A), (B), or (C) of title 3 U.S.C; or who is a contractor working under a contract with an executive agency, is paid at a rate equal to or more than the minimum rate for the Senior Executive Service, and has senior executive responsibilities. The term senior Federal official, as used in the Federal Travel Regulation does not mean an active duty military officer.

Space available travel - Travel in space available on a Government aircraft that is already scheduled for an official purpose.

Special conveyance - Commercially rented or hired vehicles other than a privately owned vehicle and other than those owned or under contract to an agency.

Special needs (also see Employee with a disability) - Physical characteristics of a traveler not necessarily defined under disability. Such physical characteristics could include, but are not limited to, the weight or height of the traveler.

Spouse - Any individual who is lawfully married (unless legally separated), including an individual married to a person of the same sex who was legally married in a state or other jurisdiction (including a foreign county), that recognizes such marriages, regardless of whether or not the individual's state of residency recognizes such marriages. The term “spouse” does not include individuals in a formal relationship recognized by a state, which is other than lawful marriage; it also does not include individuals in a marriage in a jurisdiction outside the United States that is not recognized as a lawful marriage under United States law.

Subsistence expenses - Expenses such as:

(a) Lodging and service charges;

(b) Meals, including taxes and tips; and

(c) Incidental expenses (see incidental expenses under the definition of per diem allowance).

Taxi - A hired car that carries passengers to a destination for a fare based upon the distance traveled, time spent in the vehicle, other metric, or a flat rate to and from one point to another (e.g., a flat rate from downtown to a common carrier terminal).

Temporary duty (TDY) location - A place, away from an employee's official station, where the employee is authorized to travel.

Temporary storage - Storage of HHG for a limited period of time at origin, destination or en route in connection with transportation to, from, or between official station or post of duty or authorized alternate points. Also referred to as storage-in-transit (SIT).

Transit system - A form of transportation (e.g., air, rail, bus, ship, etc.) used between authorized locations in the performance of official travel.

Transportation network company (TNC) - A corporation, partnership, sole proprietorship, or other entity, that uses a digital network to connect riders to drivers affiliated with the entity in order for the driver to transport the rider using a vehicle owned, leased, or otherwise authorized for use by the driver to a point chosen by the rider; and does not include a shared-expense carpool or vanpool arrangement that is not intended to generate profit for the driver. Note: Certain jurisdictions may have limits or prohibit the operation or use of TNCs. Federal employees are expected to follow all laws, including those related to TNCs, as well as choose the most cost effective level of service.

Travel advance - Prepayment of estimated travel expenses paid to an employee.

Travel authorization (Orders) - Written permission to travel on official business. There are three basic types of travel authorizations (orders):

(a) Unlimited open. An authorization allowing an employee to travel for any official purpose without further authorization.

(b) Limited open. An authorization allowing an employee to travel on official business without further authorization under certain specific conditions, i.e., travel to specific geographic area(s) for specific purpose(s), subject to trip cost ceilings, or for specific periods of time.

(c) Trip-by-trip. An authorization allowing an individual or group of individuals to take one or more specific official business trips, which must include specific purpose, itinerary, and estimated costs.

Travel claim (Voucher) - A written request, supported by documentation and receipts where applicable, for reimbursement of expenses incurred in the performance of official travel, including permanent change of station (PCS) travel.

Travel Management Service (TMS) - A service for booking common carrier (e.g., air, rail, and bus confirmations and seat assignments), lodging accommodations, and car rental services; fulfilling (i.e. ticketing) reservations; providing basic management information on those activities; and meeting other requirements as specified in § 301-73.106 of this title. A TMS may include a travel management center (TMC), Commercial Ticket Office (CTO), an electronically available system, other commercial methods of arranging travel, or an in-house system.

United States - The 48 contiguous States, the District of Columbia and the States and areas defined under the term “Non-Foreign Area.”

[FTR Amdt. 70, 63 FR 15951, Apr. 1, 1998]
Editorial Note:
For Federal Register citations affecting § 300-3.1, see the List of CFR Sections Affected, which appears in the Finding Aids section of the printed volume and at www.govinfo.gov.

The following state regulations pages link to this page.