42 CFR § 412.526 - Payment provisions for a “subclause (II)” long-term care hospital.
(b) Method of payment.
(1) For cost reporting periods beginning on or after October 1, 2003 and before September 30, 2014, payment to a “subclause (II)” long-term care hospital is made under the prospective payment system specified in § 412.1(a)(4) and Subpart O of this part.
(2) For cost reporting periods beginning on or after October 1, 2014, payment to a “subclause (II)” long-term care hospital is made under the prospective payment system specified in § 412.1(a)(4) and under Subpart O of this part, as adjusted. The adjusted payment amount is determined based on reasonable cost, as described at § 412.526(c).
(c) Determining the adjusted payment for Medicare inpatient operating and capital-related costs under the reasonable cost-based reimbursement rules. Medicare inpatient operating costs are paid based on reasonable cost, subject to a ceiling. The ceiling is the aggregate upper limit on the amount of a hospital's net Medicare inpatient operating costs that the program will recognize for payment purposes, as determined under paragraph (c)(1) of this section.
(1) Ceiling. For each cost reporting period, the ceiling is determined by multiplying the updated target amount, as defined in paragraph (c)(2) of this section, for that period by the number of Medicare discharges paid under this subpart during that period.
(2) Target amounts.
(i) For cost reporting periods beginning during Federal fiscal year 2015, the target amount equals the hospital's target amount determined under § 413.40(c)(4) for its cost reporting period beginning during Federal fiscal year 2000, updated by the applicable annual rate-of-increase percentages specified in § 413.40(c)(3) to the subject period.
(ii) For subsequent cost reporting periods, the target amount equals the hospital's target amount for the previous cost reporting period updated by the applicable annual rate-of-increase percentage specified in § 413.40(c)(3) for the subject cost reporting period.
(3) Payment for inpatient operating costs. For cost reporting periods subject to this section, the hospital's Medicare allowable net inpatient operating costs for that period (as defined at § 413.40(a)(3)) are paid on a reasonable cost basis, subject to that hospital's ceiling (as determined under paragraph (c)(1) of this section) for that period.
(5) Adjustments for extraordinary circumstances -
(i) General rules.
(A) CMS may adjust the ceiling determined under paragraph (c)(1) of this section for one or more cost reporting periods when unusual inpatient operating costs have resulted in the hospital exceeding its ceiling imposed under this section due to extraordinary circumstances beyond the hospital's control. These circumstances include, but are not limited to, strikes, fire, earthquakes, floods, or similar unusual occurrences with substantial cost effects.
(B) When the hospital requests an adjustment, CMS makes an adjustment only to the extent that the hospital's operating costs are reasonable, attributable to the circumstances specified separately, identified by the hospital, and verified by the Medicare administrative contractor.
(ii) Process for adjustment requests. The provisions of §§ 413.40(e)(1) through (e)(5) of this subchapter are applicable to extraordinary circumstances adjustment requests under this section.